backup across network

Post by Brent H. Besl » Thu, 29 Oct 1992 00:19:09

We have a number of different type of unix systems which I would like to
backup to the 8mm tape drive on our RS/6000 under AIX 3.1.5.  The file
systems from the remote machines are mounted on the RS/6000.  I am
currently using tar but would like something more flexible and capable.
Can I use backup or rdump to dump nfs mounted file systems?

1. Backup across network using cpio

I personally use afio to back up four HP-UX boxes to one DAT drive.  I
don't use cpio often enough to answer your question specifically, but
this is the way I do it with afio:

remsh DAThost dd if=/dev/DAT bs=1024k | afio -i -

The - represents standard input.  Using the standard output of a remsh dd is
a good way to go.  I do something very similar to back the machines up.

find / -print | afio -o - | remsh DAThost dd of=/dev/DAT bs=1024k

I hope this helps.

2. Please recomend a printer

3. error doing tape backup across network

4. HACMP: How to preserve boot address

5. Backup across network with cpio

6. Sleeping in the computer room

7. Backup across network?

8. Sendmail service port 25 can't be connected

9. Backup across network - how?

10. Tape backup across network

11. Backup across network using cpio

12. Using SCOadmin to do backups across a network

13. How do you backup root files across a network?