Can't telnet to a Risc-System 6000/530 (AIX3.1.3002)

Can't telnet to a Risc-System 6000/530 (AIX3.1.3002)

Post by Tim Fredri » Wed, 06 Mar 1991 06:24:04

Regarding a Risc-System 6000/530 (AIX3.1.3002).

We are trying to install an Emulex terminal server into our environment.  It
seems to be able to telnet to every machine except for our IBM Risc-System
6000 320 and 530's all running AIX3.1 pl3002.  The connection gets
established but then there is not response from the IBM.

Is there a known problem with telnetd under patch level 3002?  Are there
any other things I might try?  I have an ethernet monitor on a SPARCstation
and can look at packets -- the terminal server and the IBM seem to be
exchanging packets okay.

Thanks.

--Tim

Post by John Dav » Wed, 06 Mar 1991 14:03:29

> We are trying to install an Emulex terminal server into our environment.  It
> seems to be able to telnet to every machine except for our IBM Risc-System
> 6000 320 and 530's all running AIX3.1 pl3002.  The connection gets
> established but then there is not response from the IBM.

We've had similar problems (connect ok but no response) using WinQVT/net
( a TCP/IP package for PC's running windows/3 ). Yet we can still talk
to all our other machines with the same software (and we _can_ ftp
to the rs/6000 using winqvt/net)

| o  (Depart)mental Programmer,Chemistry Department      o |
| o  University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand o |

Post by Tim Fredri » Wed, 06 Mar 1991 23:13:33

>Regarding a Risc-System 6000/530 (AIX3.1.3002).

>We are trying to install an Emulex terminal server into our environment.  It
>seems to be able to telnet to every machine except for our IBM Risc-System
>6000 320 and 530's all running AIX3.1 pl3002.

>Is there a known problem with telnetd under patch level 3002?

Thanks to all of those who responded to this post -- I'm amazed at the
usefulness of Usenet.  Anyway, to summarize all of the replies, yes there
is a known problem with telnetd under AIX 3.1 patch level 3002 *and* 3003.
The solution is to get a copy of telnetd from patch level 3001.  I will
provide one via anonymous ftp from acd.ucar.edu (128.117.32.1).  Thanks
again.  --Tim

1. Windows NT and PowerStation 530/RISC 6000

I have a PowerStation 530, and it seems to have been low-level
formatted, so I am wondering, is it possible to stick on Windows NT, or
perhaps Linux, rather than AIX ? It seems like a beefy computer, nut I
want to see if it is possible, but it has lots of problems starting up
with no OS.

Another thing, I can't get the monitor to work, somebody else was
writing about the same problem in here, and I read that a VT100
connected to S1 would work, but to no avail, I have tried connecting all
sorts of monitors up to it, I am looking for the RGB cord and gunna try
and hook it up to something, but this is all work in progress, If anyone
happens to live in Sydney somewhere and knows anything about this, could
you e-mail me :) Umm, otherwise any help would be nice, or perhaps even
a web page to go and check out info about it, if there is a place, the
only site I can find is one about memory upgrades.
Anyways,
CYAL8R

BTW, I haven't searched through the entire newsgroup, cause i am only
using Netscape Messenger, but if there has been another query to this,
and answer has been posted, could it be forwarded to me or something.
Thanx in Advance

2. Telnet Win95 to Linux

3. g++ on RISC 6000/530

4. forging tcp fingerprinting

5. How do I set up a terminal on a serial port (AIX3.1.3002)?

6. XEmacs not starting

7. biff (mail notification under AIX3.1.3002)

8. Ping stops after 10-20 pings on ethernet interface

9. calendar fix (AIX3.1.3002)

10. How to connect a dial-out modem (the answers for AIX3.1.3002)

11. Can you use xmodem at Even-Parity 7-bits (AIX3.1.3002)?

12. Solution to GatorPrint crash problem (AIX3.1.3002)

13. Anyone got an Imagen to work on a Risc-System 6000?