solved: 'Cannot register service: RPC Timed out' problem

solved: 'Cannot register service: RPC Timed out' problem

Post by Robert Merith » Sun, 27 Oct 1991 07:45:19

About a month ago, I posted about a problem I had with 'RPC: timed
out' messages on the console of an RS/6000 320.  NFS stopped working
when the problem appeared.  Telnet, ping, and nameservice were all
fine.  The following text would appear about once a minute on the
machine's console, constantly:

Cannot register service: RPC: timed out
rpc.statd: unable to register (SM_PROG, SM_VERS, udp).
Cannot register service: RPC: timed out
unable to register (NLM_PROG, NLM_VERB, tcp).

Today I talked to IBM Software Support.  All of their problem reports
like this were due to portmapper, statd, or lockd not running.  They
were all running on my machine.  Eventually, he had me 'ping' myself.
It didn't work.  This was because the loopback interface (lo0) was
down.  'netstat -i' showed an asterisk next to lo0, meaning that it
was down.  The following command brought it back up and fixed the
problem:

# ifconfig lo0 up

When I originally posted the note, a few people responded that they'd
seen the problem caused by a crashed (or inappropriately configured)
nameserver.  In my case, it was the loopback interface.

Just letting y'all know...

--
  Robert Merithew                              _______________    __o
  L&IR, Stanford University                _________________     -\<,

1. rpc.nfsd: cannot register service: rpc: timed out

        What can be wrong? At boot-time I get this error, when
rpc.nfsd-daemon is trying to set-up... I can't understand this. I have
RedHap Picasso and I've tried to find the help from howtos and
man-pages, to no avail. Thank you.

--
 -- 'Forest of blood is not the place to get lost, little one...'

2. linux, netware & databases

3. 'Cannot register service' errors

4. How to delete files?

5. "Cannot register serivce: RPC: Timed out" when trying to start rpc.mountd ??

6. madrake 7.1 uninstall help

7. Please help me solve my 'service not available problem'

8. Gateway 2000 vs. Sun Sparc (no flames)

9. Error In Configuring NFS --- Cannot register service: RPC

10. mountd cannot register service RPC

11. Cannot register service: RPC

12. NFS: Cannot register service: RPC: Unable to send; errno = Network is unreachable