dos2unix help required

Post by Paul Porcel » Tue, 19 Jan 1993 23:38:40

In the man pages for the unix command dos2unix it mentions converting a
dos text file. Will this utility work for a binary file of numeric data.
Any help will be greatfully appreciated.
Paul Porcelli
Dept of Aerospace Engineering
University of Glasgow

dos2unix help required

Post by x91clift.. » Wed, 20 Jan 1993 00:01:46

> In the man pages for the unix command dos2unix it mentions converting a
> dos text file. Will this utility work for a binary file of numeric data.
> Any help will be greatfully appreciated.
> Paul Porcelli
> Dept of Aerospace Engineering
> University of Glasgow

DOS text files have lines that end with CR + LF character pairs while Unix
text files have a single LF character. Dos2unix simply strips all CR from
the end of lines in *text* files. It is unnecessary (and a bad idea) to run
binary files through dos2unix.

/D
--

dos2unix help required

Post by George M. Hym » Wed, 20 Jan 1993 05:34:50

> In the man pages for the unix command dos2unix it mentions converting a
> dos text file. Will this utility work for a binary file of numeric data.
> Any help will be greatfully appreciated.
> Paul Porcelli
> Dept of Aerospace Engineering
> University of Glasgow

NO - dos2unix exists to deal with the difference in line end conventions
in unix and dos (cr vs cr/lf).  All is does is remove the extra lf
characters.  There is no standard conversion for binary data -it's
entirely dependant on the programs and hardware you're using.

Many apps that have both Unix and dos versions (e.g. Lotus 123) are binary
compatible - a simple binary transfer will move the file from dos to
unix (and v.v.)

Good luck.

George Hyman
voice: (415) 229-4594

1. require() method not returning parent directory's require directive

Hi, we are running Apache 1.3.6 with mod_perl 1.21.  The requires() method
does not return require directives of parent directories.  For example, the

httpd.conf contains the following:

     # Root directory of all access controlled (or protected) documents
     <Directory /var/www/htdocs/protected>
        Options -Indexes
        AuthName QPDev
        AuthType Basic
        PerlAuthenHandler Apache::QPAuthen
        PerlAuthzHandler Apache::QPAuthz
        Satisfy all
        # Everything under protected requires authentication &
authorization
        # To access protected area, must be a member of admin group
        require group admin
     </Directory>

     # cgi bin directory
     <Directory /var/www/htdocs/protected/cgi-bin>
        allow from qual-pro.com
        Options ExecCGI
        AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl
        # require directives only allowed inside directory enclosures
        require or (file owner) (file group)
     </Directory>

Requesting the URI "company.com/protected/cgi-bin/penv.cgi" I expect
the requires() method, called from within Apache::QPAuthz, to contain two
items, one whose requirement is "group admin" and the other whose
requirement is "or (file owner) (file group)".  Unfortunately only 1 item
is listed, "or (file owner) (file group)".  The requires() method does
properly
return multiple items if they are all listed in the same directory
directive.

Any ideas why this is not working as specified?

Thanks,
Darrell Shane

2. VFAT is not supported by the kernel 2.2.5 ?

3. http requires 5 Solaris U2s, https requires 50?!!

4. Panic after fast ethernet installation

5. Urgent Help Required Regarding A Chat Program,PLEASE HELP

6. How change IP-address?

7. Urgent Help Required Regarding A Chat Program,PLEASE HELP,PLEASE

8. Problems With TAR !!!

9. Driver help required for all Win Printers ..Please Help me!

10. HELP, Suddenly binaries require libc.so.2 ???!! HELP

11. Newbie - Plz help - WiFi USB Help required

12. help: very basic help required

13. ftp server help required....please help