ANSI X3.28 COMM

Post by Super us » Sat, 29 Feb 1992 03:02:32

Problem to solve:
----------------
We have to access an HP-78580A Careport Unit, which is used to extract data
from an HP-78581 SCC which centralizes the data monitored by hospital
patient bedside monitors.

The HP-78580A has a DB-25 serial port configurable as RS-232C, 422 or 423.
The host machines we may access it from are Sun SparcStations and IBM PC
compatibles.

 ------------
 |          |
 |HP-78580A |         ------------
 |          |---------|  HOST    |
 |          |         |          |
 |          |         | (IBM PC) |
 |          |         |          |
 -----------          -----------

 ------------
 |          |
 | SCC      | Systems Communication Controller of SDN
 | 78581    |
 |          |
 |          |
 -----------

The protocol supported by the HP-78580A is the ANSI x3.28-1976 protocol
as defined in "ANSI Procedures for the Use of the Communication Control
Characters of ASCII in Specified Data Communication Links".  This data link
control operates as a two-way alternate, nonswitched point-to-point,
asynchronous, serial communications link.

The host machine software accesses the HP-78580A in three layers:  the higest
level interacts with the user and performs some useful work on extracted data.
It sends requests and receives results from the middle layer.  The middle layer
formats requests appropriately for the HP-78580A and extracts data.  It also
controls some processes like periodic polling and the likes.  The lower level
layer implements the ANSI x3.28 protocol.

Our need:
--------
We are looking for software that will minimize the amount of work needed on
our part in the host computer.  Here is a list, in order of preference of what
we would like:
    - Ideally, a program that would read data from the HP-78580A and store it
      in local ASCII files.
    - If no such program is available, an interface that will format and submit
      requests to the HP-78580A would be best.
    - If nothing of the kind is available, we would settle for a set of
      subprograms that implements the ANSI x3.28 protocol.

Where programming is needed, a C interface would be best for us.

Does anyone have an idea???

Please E-mail!!

==================================
John Phillips

Uunet ...!uunet!sun.ca!logibec!jep

1. Looking for information on ANSI X3.28-1976 2.3/A4 support in Linux

I am about to begin working on a project that interfaces with an external
peripheral, which is a telephony platform. The problem is not controlling
the peripheral, which is well documented and uses an RS232 interface, but
with the manner in which communications is carried out over the RS232. The
link uses an ANSI X3.28-1976 2.3/A4 spec (or protocol?).

Is anyone familiar with ANSI X3.28 or know if someone has already created a
way to support this with Linux?

Thanks,
Gregory S. Youngblood

---
Linux as a Computer Telephony platform? Visit www.LinuxTelephony.org.

2. need help with smbmount

3. DRI not working

4. ANSI, DEC controls, anonymous FTP (was Re: ANSI x3.64-1979)

5. sound card problem on asus a6b

6. Does 28 + 28 = 56? Adding bandwidth question.

7. Linux to Windows

8. Upgrade Problems: X3.1.1 to X3.1.2A

9. Netscape 3 lost BKSP on upgrade from X3.2 to X3.3

10. SCO ANSI terminal vs. regular ANSI terminal

11. Can't get apache 2.0.28 to work with SSL (was apache 2.0.28 + SSL)

12. Terminal ANSI ou SCO ANSI