Unix History

Post by <nowher.. » Sun, 12 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Looking for a sourse for a short history of Unix developement...college
assignment :-(

Unix History

Post by Charles Dem » Sun, 12 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>Looking for a sourse for a short history of Unix developement...college
>assignment :-(

Originally developed at ATT.

Short enough?  <G>

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

Unix History

Post by <nowher.. » Sun, 12 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> >Looking for a sourse for a short history of Unix developement...college
> >assignment :-(

> Originally developed at ATT.

> Short enough?  <G>

> Chuck Demas

That was a little shorter than I expected (famous last words).  Thanks :-)

Post by Chri » Mon, 13 Mar 2000 04:00:00

:
: Looking for a sourse for a short history of Unix developement...college
: assignment :-(
:
: --

Read the FAQs posted in this newsgroup for a brief history.
Chris

Unix History

Post by Tiro Veru » Mon, 13 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Looking for a sourse for a short history of Unix developement...college
> assignment :-(

  :-(  ? ?? ??? Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit*

 Perhaps your dismay stems from the dearth of reference material
 in your school's collections. Unhappily, I must assure my mentors
 and colleagues that this might be the case. Don Libes book
 is good, if you can find it.  Eric Raymond and Neal Stephenson have
 current non-technical books that should be available for
 browsing in a local bookstore.

 It might vary the monotony of searches on "UNIX history"
 to substitute the names of persons important in its development.

 "Ritchie UNIX" found, inter alia:

   http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/hist.html
   http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/ Dennis Ritchie Home Page

   http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue21/impress.html
   Impressions reading Peter H. Salus `A Quarter Century of UNIX' Issue

  and "Stallman UNIX" yielded:

   http://crackmonkey.org/unix.html
   Nick Moffitt's $7 History of Unix; New Jersey to Helsinki

   http://www.gnu.org/gnu/byte-interview.html
   BYTE Interview with Richard Stallman - GNU Project - Free Software

 Some guidance on citation form for the preceding:

   http://www.ipl.org/ref/QUE/FARQ/netciteFARQ.html
   IPL FARQ: Citing Electronic Resources

 * "forsan et haec..." Vergil, Aeneid 1.203, vide:
   http://lists.essential.org/1999/am-info/msg03579.html
   Re: The training seminar gap: another indignity

   another, more general context of use:
   http://lawlibrary.ucdavis.edu/LAWLIB/May98/0273.html

--
 become a card-carrying member of the Open Source Revolution --
 http://www.linuxfund.org/

Unix History

Post by Timothy J. Boga » Tue, 14 Mar 2000 04:00:00

"A Quarter Century of UNIX"  Peter H. Salus  ISBN 0-201-54777-5  1994

Cheers!

>Looking for a sourse for a short history of Unix developement...college
>assignment :-(

>--

1. unix history, unix future

Two parts: What are the popular *ix's today derived from, and what
directions can we hope to see in *ix future?

1) I'm interested in hearing some bits about what major versions of
*ix, various vendors offerings were derived.  I realize this is
seldomly a particularly simple parentage, but still, a rough lineage
is better than none at all, as a starting point...

For instance, Solaris 2.x is largely SysVR4 with some things carried
over from SunOS 4.1.x (like the format command, &c) and...  An unusual
version of TCP/IP, for SysVR4 (which I gather was needed to make it
sturdier than strict SysVR4?).

Does anyone have further info about Solaris 2.x derivation?

Then "Digital Unix" is apparently OSF/1.  Not much more to be said,
except perhaps how much BSD and SysV was dumped in, if any - and how
much they've paid attention to various standards, such as Posix.

How about Irix?  How about HP-UX (especially 10)?  I seem to recall
hearing that HP was very BSD early on, and started moving to SysV
earlier than most other vendors.  How about AIX?

How about "good ol'" SunOS 4.1.x?  Did this -really- (as I've heard
rumored) start out in Version 7 and track changes thru a couple of
releases of BSD 4.whatever?  Or did they start over from scratch in
the Version 7 -> BSD switch?

(Does someone maybe have an old graph of influences, that needs
updating?  :)

2) The *ix industry seems to be largely standardized on SysV variants
today; BSD seems little more than an important point in history
(commercially speaking), and an opportunity for hackers to learn (with
NetBSD, FreeBSD and Lites - perhaps overshadowed a bit by Linux and
the GNU Hurd).  OSF/1 seems to stick out as a particularly unusual
*ix, and yet the future of SysV is perhaps also in doubt, given the
purchase of USL by Novell.

What hopes do we have for future directions in *ix?  Is Novell going
to be able to carry the SysV flag?  Does anyone anticipate a major *ix
vendor purchasing SysVR4.2 (or whatever) from Novell, continuing the
standardisation?

2. DHCP???

3. Unix History Question for Unix Professionals

4. Will missing libraries lead to kernel panic?

5. ufsdump problem

6. Unix history question: What does UNIX stand for?

7. ISP in Denver

8. unix history questions

9. Question about UNIX history...

10. UNIX history