making new groups

Post by Dave Rad » Tue, 06 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hi! I am trying to create a folder in my home directory that friends of
mine can FTP to. How do I create a new group and designate those people as
members of that group? Do I need root authority? THe system is BSDI BSD os
2.0.1.

--

|   \ __ ___ _____
| |) / _` \ V / -_)    "This is the sort of English up with which I
|___/\__,_|\_/\___|      will not put."  --Winston Churchill

making new groups

Post by Kurt J Lan » Wed, 07 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>Hi! I am trying to create a folder in my home directory that friends of
>mine can FTP to. How do I create a new group and designate those people as
>members of that group?

        Groups and their potential members are defined by
entries in the /etc/group (how about that) file.

Quote:>                     Do I need root authority?
        Damn betcha.
>                                             THe system is BSDI BSD os
>2.0.1.

                Probably doesn't matter, but a 'man group'
wouldn't hurt.

1. change to new gid or new group name all files of given group name or gid

Hello,

I need to reorganize group names and gid in a server.

If possible could you send me the command line or korn shell to change
to a new group id number and new group name for all the files of a given
old group name or old gid in all the file systems.

Off course, new group name and new gid have already being defined in
/etc/group and also user have being updated to new gid in /etc/passwd.

Thank you very much,

Mario Desiderio

2. mapping remote PC connections to UNIX processes - HOW?

3. Making new files match group of the directory.

4. ethernet problems, NE*000 not recognised

5. Making a new kernel - CVSuped, not made world yet.

6. Installing software with rpm

7. New to this group: Is there a FAQ file for this group available somewhere?

8. WTB: Solaris x86 2.4

9. Figuring out basic groups and group ids for a new linux system

10. GURUS: user has two groups - new files inherit group from current dir - HOW?

11. cannot set up UMASK or groups so that users from one group cannot access other groups

12. grouping a group to a group?

13. Keeping groups, groups and groups straight