Making changes to env variables and making them stick

Making changes to env variables and making them stick

Post by Deepi » Tue, 23 Apr 2002 23:45:04

I am a complete newbie to the Unix environment. We are running Solaris
8. Every time I make a change to the environment variables for a
particular user (notes, sybase, etc. ) the change doesn't stick after
i log off as that particular user. Does anyone have any suggestions on
how to make the changes stick regardless of if and when you log off?

Thanks in advance.

Deepika

Post by Tim Hayne » Wed, 24 Apr 2002 00:09:56

> I am a complete newbie to the Unix environment. We are running Solaris
> 8. Every time I make a change to the environment variables for a
> particular user (notes, sybase, etc. ) the change doesn't stick after
> i log off as that particular user. Does anyone have any suggestions on
> how to make the changes stick regardless of if and when you log off?

Put it in your shell's startup file/s.

~Tim
--
  16:09:40 up 166 days, 16:46,  7 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.06, 0.08

http://piglet.is.dreaming.org     |and the river flowed

Making changes to env variables and making them stick

Post by Al » Thu, 25 Apr 2002 19:26:50

Quote:> I am a complete newbie to the Unix environment. We are running Solaris
> 8. Every time I make a change to the environment variables for a
> particular user (notes, sybase, etc. ) the change doesn't stick after
> i log off as that particular user. Does anyone have any suggestions on
> how to make the changes stick regardless of if and when you log off?

Put the variables and export them in these files.
.profile for ksh and .cshrc for csh.

-Al