file system question, S in group - please use this reply

file system question, S in group - please use this reply

Post by A. Treffeise » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

i have a problem and would like to have help or tips:

On a Sinix system 5 is a LAN-Share from win NT to UNIX and I can only see
files
when I copy them form NT to UNIX. Allways is an big S inside the group
permissions set
whitch looks this:

-rw-rwSr--   1 pbs      DOS-a--     8619 Oct  6 07:49 ws_ftp.log

A file which is copied from UNIX to this directory can not be seen from NT
because
it has (for example) this rights:

-rwxrwxrwx   1 pbs      DOS-a--    24303 Oct  5 16:38
pbs_aktualisierung__12201.dat

So, who (which process) does set the bis S ?
How can i set the big S from UNIX, so that the file can be seen from NT ?

REMARQ: the big S is not the s-user-id-bit !!!

Same question in german (it's easier for me):

Hallo,

ich hab' da ein Problem und h=E4tte gern Hilfe bzw. Tips:
Ich hab ein LAN-Share (Netzwerkverbindung) von Win NT nach UNIX und sehe do=
rt bestimmt Dateien nur,
wenn ich die Dateien von NT nach UNIX kopiere. Es wird dann ein S innerhalb=
der GROUP-Rechte gestetzt:

-rw-rwSr--   1 pbs      DOS-a--     8619 Oct  6 07:49 ws_ftp.log

Eine Datei die ich von UNIX aus in das entsprechende Verzeichnis kopiere ka=
nn ich von Windows aus nicht
sehen. Sie hat dann z. B. folgende Rechte:

-rwxrwxrwx   1 pbs      DOS-a--    24303 Oct  5 16:38 pbs_aktualisierung__1=
2201.dat

Woran liegt's ?? Bzw. wie kann ich dieses S von UNIX aus selbst setzen ?

Ciao,
       A. Treffeisen

---   http://www.hrb.de/PUBLIC/USER/amt_4106/INDEX.HTM  - neu seit
24.06.1999   ---

Post by Christopher J. Matter » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,
> i have a problem and would like to have help or tips:
> On a Sinix system 5 is a LAN-Share from win NT to UNIX and I can only see
> files
> when I copy them form NT to UNIX. Allways is an big S inside the group
> permissions set
> whitch looks this:
> -rw-rwSr--   1 pbs      DOS-a--     8619 Oct  6 07:49 ws_ftp.log
> A file which is copied from UNIX to this directory can not be seen from NT
> because
> it has (for example) this rights:
> -rwxrwxrwx   1 pbs      DOS-a--    24303 Oct  5 16:38
> pbs_aktualisierung__12201.dat
> So, who (which process) does set the bis S ?
> How can i set the big S from UNIX, so that the file can be seen from NT ?
> REMARQ: the big S is not the s-user-id-bit !!!

Well, no, not in that position it's not.  It's the setgid bit.  It's
"s" when you have the group "x" bit set, and "S" when you don't have
the group "x" bit set.  The same "s" and "S" deal applies to the
setuid and owner executable bits, incidentally.

                                    Chris Mattern

1. these 3 questions from my C++ E-mail group, and my reply to C++ group

Hay man their must be a RED HAT E-mail group, does anybody know about one
then we can both join?

See three comments below

hi guys,

I know that these set of questions are out-of-track....
but I know U great guys will not bother it much....well..:)
these are few questions which were bothering
me for a long time. I had gone though the
manual but just could not find any help....
may be they are too trivial!!
well,
1) how do I make the cursor blink in the
   console??

// Is this a energy saving idea?, Just jokeing
// or as a screen saver?

2) Don't U guys feel the LILO in RH7.1 is
   not well designed! In the sense the
   highlightened OS is not clearly visible.
   In contrast to the "Orange" and "Yellow"
   ....surprisingly it is the "Orange" which
   decides the OS to be booted!!.....however
   one puts it...I hope I have made it clear :)
   Only at some uncompromising brightness, the
   highlightened OS can be seen. But I am sure
   that amt. of brightness is not common or
   atleast one wants !!
   Is there any way to change that ??

// I am just tring out 7.1 and found LILO all right.
// I got RedHat 7.1 from a magazine CDROM
// APC Australia

3) I have noticed that while surfing the net...
   the scripture of certain sites is completely
   out of propotion!! In the sense...the
   heading is quite big, there is a overlapping
   of words etc.
   I have tried changing the fonts from the
   preference of the browser. I have also
   tried that from the KDE control centre.
   How do I rectify this ??

// yes any browser in Linux seems to lack something, have
// you tried OPERA it opens up like a rocket compared getting
// frustrated waiting for Netscape 4.7 to open up

--
From Eric

2. one more IPF question

3. Quotas, Please reply to me and the group

4. Linux and RPC

5. Group file line too long -Reply

6. problems starting apache 1.0.3 server on solaris

7. Compare file modification date using tcsh built-ins

8. Slackware 1.1.2 problems

9. file system question, S in group

10. Enhanced Filing system - file system like DEC Advanced File system for Linux

11. PROBLEM WITH LINUX INCLUDE FILES!! PLEASE REPLY!!

12. File System questions -- please help.

13. File system crash..PLEASE PLEASE HELP