Which SGI is better for Poweranimator V8.0 -=- O2 or INDIGO2

Which SGI is better for Poweranimator V8.0 -=- O2 or INDIGO2

Post by -Andreas » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

Does anyone knows which is the better -and faster- SGI configuration for
the Alias Poweranimator V8.0?

1. - SGI Indigo2 Extreme, R4400 200 Mhz processor, 128 Mb RAM, 2Gb HDD

or

2. - SGI O2, R5000SC 180 Mhz processor, 128 Mb RAM, 2Gb HDD

 Please don't compare the price, only the speed. (real-time OPenGL
rendering, high resolution rendering speed).

Thank you for help

Post by VISION Digital Graphics, Inc » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

Does anyone knows which is the better -and faster- SGI configuration for
the Alias Poweranimator V8.0?

1. - SGI Indigo2 Extreme, R4400 200 Mhz processor, 128 Mb RAM, 2Gb HDD

or

2. - SGI O2, R5000SC 180 Mhz processor, 128 Mb RAM, 2Gb HDD

 Please don't compare the price, only the speed. (real-time OPenGL
rendering, high resolution rendering speed).

Thank you for help

Which SGI is better for Poweranimator V8.0 -=- O2 or INDIGO2

Post by vincent bilott » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Hi,

> Does anyone knows which is the better -and faster- SGI configuration for
> the Alias Poweranimator V8.0?

> 1. - SGI Indigo2 Extreme, R4400 200 Mhz processor, 128 Mb RAM, 2Gb HDD

> or

> 2. - SGI O2, R5000SC 180 Mhz processor, 128 Mb RAM, 2Gb HDD

>  Please don't compare the price, only the speed. (real-time OPenGL
> rendering, high resolution rendering speed).

check out http://www.adl.co.uk/aw/
this page has render results for Alias raytracing and raycasting for
almost every current configuration.
the R10K Impact is probably the best value. as it's very close to the
Octane in performance, at half the price.
200 mhz Extremes go for about $4 to $5 K so as cheap starter machines,
that can be upgraded to an R10K, there's value here.
vincent

Which SGI is better for Poweranimator V8.0 -=- O2 or INDIGO2

Post by Dale Peas » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I am not an expert, but have done quite a bit of research over the past
year.  Between those to system configuration, I believe the Indigo2 is
going to be faster, but I wouldn't stop there.  The Indigo is outdated.  If
you go to the O2 R10000 you are going to be faster.  Also the 02 uses
unified memory architecture, so the more ram, the faster it goes.  I'd go
with the O2 R10000, if I had the money of course.  It's not really the
Hardware that's the problem.  It's the cash it takes to buy the software
that hurts.

--
******
Dale Pease

http://www.geocities.com/~mouse_man/

> Hi,

> Does anyone knows which is the better -and faster- SGI configuration for
> the Alias Poweranimator V8.0?

> 1. - SGI Indigo2 Extreme, R4400 200 Mhz processor, 128 Mb RAM, 2Gb HDD

> or

> 2. - SGI O2, R5000SC 180 Mhz processor, 128 Mb RAM, 2Gb HDD

>  Please don't compare the price, only the speed. (real-time OPenGL
> rendering, high resolution rendering speed).

> Thank you for help

Which SGI is better for Poweranimator V8.0 -=- O2 or INDIGO2

Post by Chan Hong Ken » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,

>Does anyone knows which is the better -and faster- SGI configuration for
>the Alias Poweranimator V8.0?

>1. - SGI Indigo2 Extreme, R4400 200 Mhz processor, 128 Mb RAM, 2Gb HDD

>or

>2. - SGI O2, R5000SC 180 Mhz processor, 128 Mb RAM, 2Gb HDD

> Please don't compare the price, only the speed. (real-time OPenGL
>rendering, high resolution rendering speed).

Buy the most powerful CPU U can afford. On the OpenGL side, dont worry
too much, coz Alias appearently dosn't fully utilize the graphic
engine of SGI hardware. The fact is : The Onyx RE2 running Alias
Poweranimator V7 DOSN'T faster than an old Indigo2 extreme a lot.

So O2 with R10000CPU and 128MB RAM is your best bet for Alias.

Cheers
Chan Hong

Post by John Sous » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> I am not an expert, but have done quite a bit of research over the past
> year.  Between those to system configuration, I believe the Indigo2 is
> going to be faster, but I wouldn't stop there.  The Indigo is outdated.  If
> you go to the O2 R10000 you are going to be faster.  Also the 02 uses
> unified memory architecture, so the more ram, the faster it goes.  I'd go
> with the O2 R10000, if I had the money of course.  It's not really the
> Hardware that's the problem.  It's the cash it takes to buy the software
> that hurts.

> --
> ******
> Dale Pease
> Walking Stick Productions/of Mouse & Man

> http://www.geocities.com/~mouse_man/

> > Hi,

> > Does anyone knows which is the better -and faster- SGI configuration for
> > the Alias Poweranimator V8.0?

> > 1. - SGI Indigo2 Extreme, R4400 200 Mhz processor, 128 Mb RAM, 2Gb HDD

> > or

> > 2. - SGI O2, R5000SC 180 Mhz processor, 128 Mb RAM, 2Gb HDD

> >  Please don't compare the price, only the speed. (real-time OPenGL
> > rendering, high resolution rendering speed).

> > Thank you for help

I have both. The Indigo2 High Impact is better than the O2. No doubt.

John Sousa
Hypnotix Inc.

Post by Jeromy Smit » Mon, 23 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,

> Does anyone knows which is the better -and faster- SGI configuration for
> the Alias Poweranimator V8.0?

> 1. - SGI Indigo2 Extreme, R4400 200 Mhz processor, 128 Mb RAM, 2Gb HDD

> or

> 2. - SGI O2, R5000SC 180 Mhz processor, 128 Mb RAM, 2Gb HDD

>  Please don't compare the price, only the speed. (real-time OPenGL
> rendering, high resolution rendering speed).

> Thank you for help

As far as raw computing is concerned, there is little difference that
you will notice.  The I2 Extreme does not do hardware texturing; the O2
does.  I am not sure that PowerAnimator 8.0 uses any openGL during its
quick renders--I think that is all CPU.  If it is an option for you to
get an R10K into either box, you will find better performance out of the
Indigo2 with an R10K.

Post by Ben Canno » Mon, 23 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> > Hi,

> > Does anyone knows which is the better -and faster- SGI configuration for
> > the Alias Poweranimator V8.0?

> > 1. - SGI Indigo2 Extreme, R4400 200 Mhz processor, 128 Mb RAM, 2Gb HDD

> > or

> > 2. - SGI O2, R5000SC 180 Mhz processor, 128 Mb RAM, 2Gb HDD

> >  Please don't compare the price, only the speed. (real-time OPenGL
> > rendering, high resolution rendering speed).

RealTime OGL rendering is likely to be faster on the O2 (certinly
if you have texture on!) as will be CPU rendering.  The difference
will be slight however.  (and in some cases, the Extreme will be
far faster.  I've had interesting reprots about speed that differ
greatly)

One thing, with the O2, you will need more RAM. (at least 64MB more
than an Indigo^2 to do the same things) And O2 RAM is custom stuff
available form SGI and Kingston only (OK, a few other places carry
it...)
Indigo^2 RAM is just the highest-end PC RAM made.

All other things being equal, I'd take the Extreme.  It's been around
for
a longish time (ie, no bugs) and I like the idea of having deticated
Geometry
Processing Hardware instead of just doing everything in a faster CPU
(ie, what
O2 does)

If you want to use any sort of "3D" Paint program (ie Alias
StudioPaint3D or
IFX's Amazon) I would go for the O2 with it's hardware texturing.

--
| The wise man can look at a Grain of Sand, |
|  and envision a Universe. But the Stupid  |

Which SGI is better for Poweranimator V8.0 -=- O2 or INDIGO2

Post by Rick Pumphre » Tue, 24 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I have heard they are about the same, however, because of how the
unified memory architecture works on the 02, if you add memory the
performance will get better. Not so with I2 EX.

Cheers,

Rick

Post by Jeff A. Harrel » Tue, 01 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> I have heard they are about the same, however, because of how the
> unified memory architecture works on the 02, if you add memory the
> performance will get better. Not so with I2 EX.

This isn't 100% accurate, unfortunately. What O2 does that Extreme
graphics does not is dynamically load textures into main memory. So you
can view a textured model WITHOUT having to have dedicated texture
memory (a la IMPACT or RE).

The trade off is that textures in O2 memory aren't as fast as those in
dedicated TRAM. At least, that's what they say.

So if you add RAM, you can load more textures into memory. That's it.
But geometry performance, and general CPU performance, is unaffected by
how much RAM you have, so long as you're not paging or swapping
excessively.

--
Jeff Harrell, System Application Engineer
Digital Media Performance Labs, Inc.

Which SGI is better for Poweranimator V8.0 -=- O2 or INDIGO2

Post by Paul Bruggema » Thu, 03 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Without having the facts in front of me or direct personal experience,
> suffice it to say that I have a friend who has done equipment/rendering
> benchmark tests for SGI.  He says the O2 kicks for rendering but half of
> the animation process is design.  Extreme graphics are better for
> viewing the work.  His benchmark compared the O2 graphics to those of
> the old Elans.
> Two parts: CPU and graphics.

> Personally, I'd absolutely go for the I2.  Cheaper as well.

> Hope this helps.

 My experience (with softimage-O2/R10K/150Mhz) is- the graphics are
faster than my I^2 R4400/200mhz with elan, and the rendering is about
2-3x faster with the older 5.3 binaries. The newer O32 binaries appear
faster (soft 3.7) but I havn't done any benchmarks yet.

  Paul
PS. I have a friend who has used Alias 8.0 on the 5k and 10k who reports
1.5-2x faster rendering with the R10K O2. For about ~2k I thinks it's
worth it. (150mhz R10K)

> > > Hi,

> > > Does anyone knows which is the better -and faster- SGI configuration
> > > for
> > > the Alias Poweranimator V8.0?

> > > 1. - SGI Indigo2 Extreme, R4400 200 Mhz processor, 128 Mb RAM, 2Gb HDD

> > > or

> > > 2. - SGI O2, R5000SC 180 Mhz processor, 128 Mb RAM, 2Gb HDD

> > >  Please don't compare the price, only the speed. (real-time OPenGL
> > > rendering, high resolution rendering speed).

> > > Thank you for help

> --
> Mike Drinks
> Art Director, KLM Video
> (301)986-7944

> "Keep you head down and NEVER pause to ask why.."

1. I need to copy all SGI(indy) to new SGI(O2)IRIX 6.3

Hi ,
I need  to copy the exact programs directories owners,users ...
from an old SGI to a new one running IRIX 6.3.
I think that I can not use tar since I don't have enough space.
and is there away to copy the symbolic links.

thanks
Tzahi

2. Bus error on local variables

3. Problems installing xrn on SGI indigo2

4. New user setup . . . %|:->

5. FS: SGI Indigo2, 200Mhz, Extreme Graphics

6. RWTValSortedVector vect = int

7. ES 2.01 on SGI Indigo2 hangs

8. find en variabele extensies

9. KDE2 on SGI Indigo2