NEEDED: Tips for automating e-mail handling and replies

NEEDED: Tips for automating e-mail handling and replies

Post by Grant W. Pet » Wed, 03 May 1995 04:00:00

I am running an Ultrix 4.3 machine and have the following problem: I
am going on a long trip and need to automate the handling of certain
incoming mail messages.

Specifically, I want to

        1) automatically scan the body of all incoming messages for
        certain character strings

        2) if none of the target strings is present, then the message
        should be left in my regular mailbox.  If, however, one or
        more of the target strings is present, then:

        3) reply to the sender with a prescribed text message
        (e.g., an acknowledgment of receipt), and finally,

        4) follow the latter with second mail message (to the sender)
        echoing the contents of the incoming message for verification
        purposes

        5) append the incoming message to a designated file and remove
        from the incoming mail queue

The man pages for the MH 'slocal' program suggest that this utility
comes pretty close to providing a mechanism for the above, but I
haven't quite figured out how to put it all together.   Any tips (or
sample .maildelivery files) on how to do this?

        Thanks,

        Grant

--

Asst. Prof. of Atmospheric Science
Dept. of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences                 (317) 494-2544

NEEDED: Tips for automating e-mail handling and replies

Post by Ananda M. K » Wed, 03 May 1995 04:00:00

->
-> I am running an Ultrix 4.3 machine and have the following problem: I
-> am going on a long trip and need to automate the handling of certain
-> incoming mail messages.

   Use the elm "filter" or look for whether "procmail" is installed on your system.
   "filter" will let you do what you're trying to do.

   For more info try "man filter".

   Ananda

--
Ananda M. Kar |(H)458-9754 | URL: http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/ananda/
  I am Pentium of Borg , Division is futile , You will be Approximated

Post by Grant W. Pet » Fri, 05 May 1995 04:00:00

  I am running an Ultrix 4.3 machine and have the following problem: I
  am going on a long trip and need to automate the handling of certain
  incoming mail messages.

  Specifically, I want to

        1) automatically scan the body of all incoming messages for
        certain character strings

        2) if none of the target strings is present, then the message
        should be left in my regular mailbox.  If, however, one or
        more of the target strings is present, then:

        3) reply to the sender with a prescribed text message
        (e.g., an acknowledgment of receipt), and

        4) follow the latter with second mail message (to the sender)
        echoing the contents of the incoming message for verification
        purposes

        5) append the incoming message to a designated file and remove
        from the incoming mail queue

On the advice of the one response I received to this query, I have
downloaded the 'procmail' package and installed it on my system.  Now
I am wondering whether anyone has some sample scripts that accomplish
something similar to the above, specifically using procmail.

Thanks,

        Grant

--

Asst. Prof. of Atmospheric Science
Dept. of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences                 (317) 494-2544
Purdue University, West Lafayette IN  47907-1397  FAX:(317) 496-1210

1. How do you set up an automated e-mail reply?

        I'd like to set up an automated e-mail reply, but I am not
quite sure how to do it. I assume that all mail msgs. are forwarded
to a program in the .forward file, but beyond that, I am not sure.
Can anyone point me in the right direction? It should be simple enough.

Thanks;

2. how to set up environment to run jdk1.1.5 on RedHat 5.0 ??

3. FAQ needed. Please reply via e-mail.

4. looking for binary files

5. Need a tip for tip

6. slow smtp performance

7. Automatic email-handling, hints needed

8. compile-time configurable NR_CPUS

9. Automating sendmail for forwarding, replies

10. using cron to automate tip - possible?

11. Automated handling of Code Red HTTP requests

12. Automated mail handling - how to do it