Help -Seperate DOS|Unix partions on PC

Post by S. Keeli » Wed, 05 Oct 1994 06:28:58

Quote:

>I was wondering if anyone is running both a PC based Unix ( i.e. Linux, etc. )
>and Dos/Win off the same physical drive by using seperate boot
>partions.  My problem is that I need to run both DOS/Win and Unix on

        On my Linux system, I do this all the time (though I haven't
found much need for dos/win3.1 lately).

Quote:>application (i.e. I use de*s, etc.) I need the two operating
>systems to run independently from one another.  My wish list is below.

        Better than independant, Linux will transparently access your
dos ptn. with no problem.

Quote:>  * Boot up either DOS/Win or PC based Unix from the same physical hard drive,
>    perhaps by partioning the drive.  Neither operating system needs to know
>    that the other one exists.

        Linux.

Quote:>  * Run a large part of the Unix system off a CD-ROM.  (I have ~540 Mb of
>    hard disk space but I would love to get some use out of the CD-ROM).

        I know at least one distributor of Linux CDs that advertises
this feature.  Be advised, however, performance will be close to nil.

Quote:>  * GateWay 2000 - Intel Pentium, 540 Mb HD, 8 Mb RAM, 2x CD-ROM

        I installed Linux on a Gateway 2000 i486DX266 a few months
back.  No problem (except I *do* hate all the power saving 'features'
they're doing to PC nowadays).

        Be advised that Linux is picky about peripherals.  *Some*, but
not all, video cards, some, but not all tape formats, CDROM drives,
etc., etc.  If you have a weird piece of hardware, maybe someone will
write a driver for it, but you're better off finding out what the rest
of the linux community uses, then buy that.

        Anon-ftp to tsx-11.mit.edu:pub/linux or
sunsite.unc.edu:pub/Linux for the compleat :-)  story.
--

1. Help -Seperate DOS|Unix partions on PC

I was wondering if anyone is running both a PC based Unix ( i.e. Linux, etc. )

and Dos/Win off the same physical drive by using seperate boot partions.  My problem

is that I need to run both DOS/Win and Unix on the same PC.  Since most of my time is

spent programming Windows application (i.e. I use debuggers, etc.) I need

the two operating systems to run independently from one another.  My wish

list is below.  The question is how close can I get to the wish list or am

I just dreaming?  (If it is possible to do the above, what is the best PC

based Unix vendor.)

Wish List:

  * Boot up either DOS/Win or PC based Unix from the same physical hard drive,

    perhaps by partioning the drive.  Neither operating system needs to know

    that the other one exists.

  * Run a large part of the Unix system off a CD-ROM.  (I have ~540 Mb of

    hard disk space but I would love to get some use out of the CD-ROM).

My System:

  * GateWay 2000 - Intel Pentium, 540 Mb HD, 8 Mb RAM, 2x CD-ROM

2. wtf is the enlightenment logo?

3. Re-partioning & Re-partioning & Re-partioning & Re-partioning

4. setting dial-up using PPP as backup internet connection

5. How do i mount my Dos partion in unix

6. changing mouse pointer

7. Need YOUR help: DOS-PC as an UNIX Terminal

8. How to do ipmasqadm in 2.4.19

9. Help with Xfer from Unix to PC Dos

10. Linux experts: I need your help in doing Telnet from weindows PC to linux PC

11. help me dos partion corrupted

12. Need help with linx/os2/dos partion

13. Q:slackware setup not recognize my second dos partion on setup,help!