New to UNIX

Post by Mario Lemm » Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Are there any online tutorials, similar to those found at javasoft.com,
for UNIX.  Also, for someone who knows the very basics (OS navigation;
file copy, delete, movement; execution) what is the next step in UNIX
proficiency.  I think it may be the different shells, but being so green
with UNIX, I really don't  know what's next.  Is there an instructional
newsgroup?

Thanks
Mario

New to UNIX

Post by Yu Jaemi » Sun, 26 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Are there any online tutorials, similar to those found at javasoft.com,
> for UNIX.  Also, for someone who knows the very basics (OS navigation;
> file copy, delete, movement; execution) what is the next step in UNIX
> proficiency.  I think it may be the different shells, but being so green
> with UNIX, I really don't  know what's next.  Is there an instructional
> newsgroup?
> Thanks
> Mario

Try to visit http://www.oreilly.com, O'reilly is famous of
useful and practical UNIX books.

Jaemin

New to UNIX

Post by Jody Stockle » Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:00:00

A really good online tutorial can be found at
http://sunsite.queensu.ca/unixedu/UNIXhelp/UNIXhelp1.3/Pages/index.html

Jody Stockley

> Are there any online tutorials, similar to those found at javasoft.com,
> for UNIX.  Also, for someone who knows the very basics (OS navigation;
> file copy, delete, movement; execution) what is the next step in UNIX
> proficiency.  I think it may be the different shells, but being so green
> with UNIX, I really don't  know what's next.  Is there an instructional
> newsgroup?

> Thanks
> Mario

New to UNIX

Post by ynots.. » Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Are there any online tutorials, similar to those found at
> javasoft.com, for UNIX.  Also, for someone who knows the very basics
> (OS navigation; file copy, delete, movement; execution) what is the
> next step in UNIX proficiency.  I think it may be the different
> shells, but being so green with UNIX, I really don't  know what's
> next.  Is there an instructional newsgroup?

Please let me highly suggest http://www.geek-girl.com/Unixhelp/ as an
online tutorial.

I have established a link to this site on our Intranet web page, and new
users are reporting good understanding and growing proficiency after
repeated visits there.

-   tony

A language that doesn't have everything is actually easier to program in
than some that do.
-                -- Dennis M. Ritchie

-

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

New to UNIX

Post by era eriksso » Wed, 06 Oct 1999 04:00:00

comp.unix.questions:

 >> Are there any online tutorials, similar to those found at
 >> javasoft.com, for UNIX.  Also, for someone who knows the very basics
 >> (OS navigation; file copy, delete, movement; execution) what is the
 >> next step in UNIX proficiency.  I think it may be the different
 > Please let me highly suggest http://www.geek-girl.com/Unixhelp/ as an
 > online tutorial.

This is unfortunately rather old, being from 1996. I tried to submit
some bug reports a year or two ago but never heard anything back. Just
some examples to give you a taste, from the regular expression page at
<http://www.geek-girl.com/Unixhelp/utilities2/grep3.1.html>:

First example:

   To search using enclosed characters:
   grep -n '[dD]on't' tasks

Flaw in quoting, won't work.

Second example:

   To turn off the meaning of a special character:
   grep '^\\$' money

Doubled backslash, doesn't do what the text says. (These problems with
doubled backslashes seem to be all over the place.)

Fourth and final example:

   To search for lines ending in a particular pattern:
   ls -l | grep '[^.xdh]$'

   This lists all the files and directories in the current directory
   which do not end in .xdh.

Yes, that's what it says this will do. Duh.

Also many (or dare I say most) of the external links have long since
ceased functioning. These problems are unfortunate, as the basic text
is pretty good.

I have links to some other sites related to shell programming at
<http://www.iki.fi/era/unix/> and some of them are supposed to be
useful for newbies.

Hope this helps,

/* era */

--
 Too much to say to fit into this .signature anyway: <http://www.iki.fi/era/>
  Fight spam in Europe: <http://www.euro.cauce.org/> * Sign the EU petition

New to UNIX

Post by W. Al » Wed, 06 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Are there any online tutorials, similar to those found at javasoft.com,
> for UNIX.  Also, for someone who knows the very basics (OS navigation;

There is a lot of this stuff in the WWW. Have a look at:
        http://www.ciw.uni-karlsruhe.de/technik.html
and go to Operating Systems - Unix. The Publishing Company of O'Reilly
is famous for its books on Unix and the X Window System. They have books
for beginners, too. Sincerely yours,
--
Wulf Alex, Universitaet Karlsruhe, Tel. 0721/608 - 2404, Fax 0721/693965
         http://www.ciw.uni-karlsruhe.de/mvm/personen/alex.html

New to UNIX

Post by Robert J. Catala » Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Try http://www.ramjam.net/Unixhelp/

Quote:

>Are there any online tutorials, similar to those found at javasoft.com,
>for UNIX.  Also, for someone who knows the very basics (OS navigation;
>file copy, delete, movement; execution) what is the next step in UNIX
>proficiency.  I think it may be the different shells, but being so green
>with UNIX, I really don't  know what's next.  Is there an instructional
>newsgroup?

>Thanks
>Mario

1. HELP NEW USER NEW TO UNIX EVEN

Ok I am making progress with Linux and from what little I do with it I can tell
I love it.
I am still having trouble mounting my dos portion of my hard drive I try
MOUNT /dev/hda1 /mnt

but that dosen't get it done .

here is my question:

How can I access the files that currently are in my win3.1 and dos partition of
my hard drive.
and
Does anyone use <Hyfax> think thats the name fax for Linux and unix based os ?
thanks
Rich

2. HOW TO KEEP TRACK OF DIALIN NUMBERS

3. New linux/UNIX programs collection - new version of RXVT and more

4. HELP for LINUX DEVICE

5. I am new to Unix and Unix Programming HELP!

6. QuickCam VC anyone?

7. NEW: qi-unix -- quick info unix/linux

8. Thinking of installing ...

9. new to unix

10. NEW Free Unix C/S DBMS Under Development

11. new to unix

12. New to unix!! HELP

13. Installing Programs (new to unix)