Graphical operating Environments

Post by Liquid Chicke » Mon, 24 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I was wondering if there are any low cost, or shareware graphical
operating environments available for a Unix operating system.  I am buying
a DEC Alpha workstation, and until I can afford Solaris, I am interested
in something a little cheaper.  Thank you for any help.

"There's nothing on my mind that couldn't be expressed by a long insane
outburst of hysterical rage"
        --Ashleigh Brilliant

Post by HS » Tue, 25 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> I was wondering if there are any low cost, or shareware graphical
> operating environments available for a Unix operating system.  I am buying
> a DEC Alpha workstation, and until I can afford Solaris, I am interested
> in something a little cheaper.  Thank you for any help.

Linux runs pretty well on alpha (better than OSF1 in terms of
speed, actually), is almost free, and I'm pretty sure you can
find a good X package for it on alpha with a standard svga card.

See ftp.cdrom.com or linux related sites.

--
HS
-------