SIGTTOU problem

Post by yessar » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 01:28:05

Hi

When I run a process (startDaemon.sh) in the background in unix, it
runs without error and shows me the pid.

Then when I do a ps -ef | grep "startDaemon.sh", it gives me the
message {Stopped} (SIGTTOU).

I learnt that SIGTTOU is a tty signal sent out during output write.

I ve to run my process in the background only, coz it processes a file
as huge as 31692403 bytes! When i try to do it in the foreground, my
session encounters a connection timeout with the server and stops....

I learnt that there's a way I can block the SIGTTOU signal. But am not
able to figure out how.

Here's the snapshot:

./startDaemon.sh&
[1]     29342

| grep "startDaemon.sh"
cddaemon 29397 28786  0 22:48:01 pts/2    0:00 grep startDaemon.sh
[1] + Stopped (SIGTTOU)        . ./startDaemon.sh&

Please advise me as to how to block the SIGTTOU signal.

Thank you !!

SIGTTOU problem

Post by Bill Marcu » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 02:10:00

On 23 Apr 2003 09:28:05 -0700, yessardi

> Hi

> When I run a process (startDaemon.sh) in the background in unix, it
> runs without error and shows me the pid.

> Then when I do a ps -ef | grep "startDaemon.sh", it gives me the
> message {Stopped} (SIGTTOU).

> I learnt that SIGTTOU is a tty signal sent out during output write.

> I ve to run my process in the background only, coz it processes a file
> as huge as 31692403 bytes! When i try to do it in the foreground, my
> session encounters a connection timeout with the server and stops....

> I learnt that there's a way I can block the SIGTTOU signal. But am not
> able to figure out how.

There are two ways:
(a) run the process without output to a terminal
process > file 2>&1 &
(b) stty -tostop

--
bill marcum the mushroom-eating laboratory monkey
What kind of monkey are you? http://thesurrealist.co.uk/monkey.cgi

1. SIGTTOU interfering with processing

Over the past few weeks I have had several users stop by asking me why
all of a sudden their applications were stopping with a SIGTTOU after
putting them into the background with &.  They are using ksh as their
command shell.  Since I have seen background applications write to
the user's current tty without problem before, I can't understand
what condition arises that causes a signal to be generated instead of
output.  Does anyone have a URL pointer to where I can find the answer
to this dilema ?

2. SCSI DVD-ROM drives (as CD)?

3. SIGTTOU question

4. partition table problem

5. tcsetpgrp() & SIGTTOU

6. Effects of a large subnet with a small number of hosts

7. Stopped process (SIGTTOU) question

8. CDROM Drive not recognized cannot mount!!!!!!!!

9. SIGTTOU

10. problems, problems, 37.5 GB, problems, 1024, problems...

11. Installation problems, problems, problems!

12. PPP stands for Problem Problem Problem

13. Problems... problems ... more problems