Real-Time OS

Post by Ajit » Sat, 25 Dec 1999 04:00:00

   Which are the the typical characteristics that make a Real-time OS
different from a conventional OS? In terms of the general components of an
OS like process scheduling and management, file management, memory
management, interrupt handling etc, how can we classify an OS to be in
Real-time?I would also like to understand the classification of kernels
into micro, nano etc.
Thanks in advance for help.

Real-Time OS

Post by Niels de Troy » Thu, 30 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>    Which are the the typical characteristics that make a Real-time OS
> different from a conventional OS? In terms of the general components of an
> OS like process scheduling and management, file management, memory
> management, interrupt handling etc, how can we classify an OS to be in
> Real-time?I would also like to understand the classification of kernels
> into micro, nano etc.
> Thanks in advance for help.

> --

An OS is considered Real Time (RT) if a process is run on a CPU within a
pre-defined, fixed, maximum amount of time. In technical words "Bounded
dispatch latency"
To be able to do this, you have to implement all kinds of different techniques
to make sure that your dispatch time is bounded.
1. On the scheduler. You have to run at the "highest" priority, so you can
interrupt other processes, but other processes cannot interrupt you.
2. The kernel has to be pre-emptable. If the kernel is not pre-empatble, it
can be running for a low priority process (which itself is pre-emptable) and
cannot be pre-empted until it has done the work for that process
3. All the memory that you use is locked in physical memory. Paging in and or
out will take time, and may prevent the dispatch time to become too long,
because you will depend on the pagout daemon etc. This also includes all pages
of the shared libraries that are used by the RT process.
4. File management: File I/O is done as page in (read) and page out (write).
This is called memory mapped I/O. The memory pages used for the files are
again locked in memory.
5.  The clock tick frequency may have to be faster  than the default used by
most OS-es (1000 instead of 100)

Hope this helps a bit.

Niels de Troye
Sysman Automatisering B.V. / Sysman Software B.V.
Tel: +31-20-441 85 85

Looking for a web-based graphical performance tool?

   http://www.sysman.nl/perfgraph

1. Seeking OEM/embedded real-time OS for Intel (or other) architectures

[Please note: this message is crossposted to a number of groups. I am
hoping someone with an interest in OS's might have an answer to my
question. If you post a follow-up, please consider its relevance to the
groups, and trim the newsgroups lines if appropriate. Thanks.]

I am looking for an embedded operating system, for real-time control of a
communications oriented computer. The system must be:

real-time (can do interrupt processing)
preemptive multi-tasking, with thread prioritization
provide full protected memory management per process
(hopefully) provide object security and access control lists
(hopefully) provide a file system, preferably journaled or otherwise fault
tolerant
(hopefully) provide communications and networking primitives or drivers
(hopefully) be for sale (i.e., source code)

My emphasis is on robustness, and small footprint. I need something lean
and mean, yet able to control a computer of approximately the power and
capacity of current desktops (without the user interface stuff).

I am particularly interested in something designed for the Intel x86
architecture, but will consider other architectures. I am not too keen on
the x86 for proprietary control, but it is nice for other reasons (tools,
prototyping, available I/O cards/devices, etc.)

Also, if anyone can think of any other resources, on-line or off, I might
want to look into, to try to source such a product, (or to help me design
one if necessary -- any good texts??), please let me know.

(A copy by e-mail would be appreciated, but I will try to keep my eyes out
on these groups.)

Thanks in advance, for any information.

--
Brad Aisa, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

"The highest responsibility of philosophers is to serve as the
guardians and integrators of human knowledge."   -- Ayn Rand

2. Mandrake 7 CDROM problem

3. Choosing a real-time OS - SUMMARY and a Question

4. SCO off-line Tuesday Aug. 13

5. Is Linux a Real-Time OS?

6. Linux FSSTND v1.0 released

7. Choosing a real-time OS for interesting prj - advice needed

8. Need help with fvwm2...

9. Linus-wannabe? Make a POSIX Real Time OS!!

10. Real Time OS

11. "Real-Time" Time Display in Console

12. Mixed Time-Share & real-Time scheduling

13. real-time vs. user-time