Indigo2 High Impact -- What the?

Post by Pablo Veramend » Fri, 28 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Ok, here is the deal. This is our setup.
One Challenge Web server (no monitor,keyboard etc)
One Indigo2 -- Used as virtual terminal for Challenge.

Problem:
Ok, since about 2 days ago, whenever I log in as Root, the directory is
EMPTY! Anything that I try to run says that it can not write to the root
directory. According to the Machine I have >700meg free. So it isn't a
space problem. I am VERY new to the SGI/UNIX world so bare with me..
Ok, I tried to do a secured shell to the challenge machine and I get an
error. I try to run Ping or Telnet or ANYTHING in the console --
ping- command not found. So I go to the directory that contains it, and
the ONLY way I can run it is if I write
./ping
or whatever other program that I want to use.
My shell no longer works, I get a % for a prompt.. and basically, the
whole damn thing is screwed up. What could this be attributed to? I
called SGI tech support and they said "Wipe the Machine/reinstall"  and
I wanted to check with all of you gurus out there before I did anything.
Well, thanks in advance!
-Pablo Veramendi
Compusolve - NetSight

Post by Somckit Khemmanivan » Thu, 03 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Ok, here is the deal. This is our setup.
> One Challenge Web server (no monitor,keyboard etc)
> One Indigo2 -- Used as virtual terminal for Challenge.

> Problem:
> Ok, since about 2 days ago, whenever I log in as Root, the directory is
> EMPTY! Anything that I try to run says that it can not write to the root
> directory. According to the Machine I have >700meg free. So it isn't a
> space problem. I am VERY new to the SGI/UNIX world so bare with me..
> Ok, I tried to do a secured shell to the challenge machine and I get an
> error. I try to run Ping or Telnet or ANYTHING in the console --
> ping- command not found. So I go to the directory that contains it, and
> the ONLY way I can run it is if I write
> ./ping
> or whatever other program that I want to use.
> My shell no longer works, I get a % for a prompt.. and basically, the
> whole damn thing is screwed up. What could this be attributed to? I
> called SGI tech support and they said "Wipe the Machine/reinstall"  and
> I wanted to check with all of you gurus out there before I did anything.
> Well, thanks in advance!
> -Pablo Veramendi
> Compusolve - NetSight

Hi Pablo,

Are you the only person who has root access to this machine? Any recent
configuration or software changes?

Regarding your question on not being able to write to the root dir. -
Are there any error messages in /var/adm/SYSLOG, what does /etc/fstab
look like ( perhaps the root dir. was mounted read only?) Also you might
want to try perusing the official SGI patch list at
http://www.surf.sgi.com/SurfZone/Support/allpatch/ ( you'll need a
Surfzone account though ).

--
Somckit Khemmanivanh