pb with networking configuration

Post by Philfre » Sun, 05 Jan 2003 23:45:46

Hello,

Whatever the network card I try to install on my system sco open server
5.0.5, the following message appears :
"/no protocol stacks available on the system are supported on this device".
I used several network cards (3com, smc, intel) and this error always
appears.
Does anyone have an idea to solve this problem ?
Thanks,

Philippe, France

--
Envie de retrouver vos anciens copains ?
www.photo-de-classe.com

Post by Scott McMilla » Mon, 06 Jan 2003 01:39:48

>Hello,

>Whatever the network card I try to install on my system sco open server
>5.0.5, the following message appears :
>"/no protocol stacks available on the system are supported on this device".
>I used several network cards (3com, smc, intel) and this error always
>appears.
>Does anyone have an idea to solve this problem ?
>Thanks,

>Philippe, France

You wouldn't happen to be playing with an OpenServer Host system,
would you?  Run custom, look for a line like

SCO OpenServer XXXX System

where XXXX will either be "Enterprise" or "Host".  Enterprise includes
the networking protocols you are looking for; Host does not.  If it's
Host, you will need to upgrade to Enterprise.

Scott McMillan

pb with networking configuration

Post by Philfre » Mon, 06 Jan 2003 23:21:21

Thanks for your support.
You are right, the version I have is Host one.
So, I'll be moving to Enterprise.
However, I have a naive question... What's the use of a Open server Host
system if it cannot be used in a network then ??

--

Post by Scott McMilla » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 01:23:48

>Thanks for your support.
>You are right, the version I have is Host one.
>So, I'll be moving to Enterprise.
>However, I have a naive question... What's the use of a Open server Host
>system if it cannot be used in a network then ??

The SCO Group attempts to explain that here:
http://www.sco.com/products/openserver/

Host is less expensive than Enterprise - In an application where only
serial communications are necessary, Host would be a good choice.

Personally, I don't see the need to have the 2 separate products.
Saving a few dollars now, but having to upgrade when I need network
connectivity down the road does not seem the most cost-effective
solution.  The company I work for stopped selling Host many years ago.

BTW, there are some SCO-specific newsgroups you may be interested in:

comp.unix.sco.announce
comp.unix.sco.misc
comp.unix.sco.programmer

Also of interest may be Tony Lawrence's site:

http://www.pcunix.com

Scott McMillan

pb with networking configuration

Post by those who know me have no need of my nam » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 05:39:31

in comp.unix.questions i read:

>>However, I have a naive question... What's the use of a Open server Host
>>system if it cannot be used in a network then ??

if you purchased host for using in a networked environment then you made a
mistake -- that's not it's niche.

Quote:>Host is less expensive than Enterprise - In an application where only
>serial communications are necessary, Host would be a good choice.

there are tons of applications where network connectivity isn't necessary.
the crazy to internet-connect everything makes people blind to the utility
of running a stand-alone (modem / serial access only) system, and even they
can be networked sufficiently for most purposes.

pb with networking configuration

Post by Scott McMilla » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 12:30:19

On 05 Jan 2003 20:39:31 GMT, those who know me have no need of my name

>in comp.unix.questions i read:

>>>However, I have a naive question... What's the use of a Open server Host
>>>system if it cannot be used in a network then ??

>if you purchased host for using in a networked environment then you made a
>mistake -- that's not it's niche.

>>Host is less expensive than Enterprise - In an application where only
>>serial communications are necessary, Host would be a good choice.

>there are tons of applications where network connectivity isn't necessary.
>the crazy to internet-connect everything makes people blind to the utility
>of running a stand-alone (modem / serial access only) system, and even they
>can be networked sufficiently for most purposes.

Granted.  However, there are more and more applications _currently_
coming out that rely on TCP/IP,  and fewer OSes that don't include it.
I don't recall HP-UX or AIX having a 'non-networked' version (but I
don't go very far back with those), so when someone with a background
in either runs into a relatively current SCO Host system, it's quite
the surprise.  I'm assuming this is where the OP comes from, as anyone
that deals with SCO regularly would have known about the different
versions.

Our dental management package runs just fine on either Host or
Enterprise.  We only sell Enterprise, however, as it gives us more
flexibilty.

Scott McMillan

1. X Configuration for PB 3400

This has probably been brought up and answered somewhere. So if you could
direct me to the right resources on the net, I'd be very grateful.

It's Debian 3.0 on my PB 3400. The X server seems to be misconfigured and as a
result the screen flickers on and off. In the log file:
(EE) Cannot read V_BIOS
(WW) Mode pool is empty
(EE) No valid modes found
(EE) Screens found but non have a usable configuration

Also, right now 'X' is turned off. How do I restart it when it's properly
configured?

---Alex

2. NFS on TCP

3. pb de configuration carte ethernet NE2000 clone

4. Normal Red Hat Install?

5. Pb with Apache2 configuration

6. AHA-2825 SCSI host adapter with FreeBSD?

7. Configuration of PB G3 ethernet adapter

8. VPN Masquerade problem

9. Pb configuration de Xwindow

10. network configuration - how do I see a solaris 8 box from my windows network?

11. Connecting to the @Home network/General network configuration

12. e-mail configuration main network and connecting network has same Domain

13. network connection pb