backup & disaster recovery procedures

Post by Name goes her » Sat, 03 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I'm "planning for the future" and I just want to toss out some thoughts and
ask for comments.

(Note for those who will immediately suggest that I buy this or that backup
product: That's all very fine and dandy, but using a product whose inner
workings I don't understand is too much like depending on voodoo.)

I have several SCO OpenServer 5.02 boxes, and I'd like to be prepared for
disasters like disk crashes. So here's what I see has to be done....

1) Create root and boot floppies (duh!). I've also sone a few extra things
like made sure that the device nodes for my mountable filesystems are in
there too. (/dev/oracle mounts on /oracle, etc etc). I've made sure that
all programs like cpio, tar, vi, are on the root floppies as well. Since my
various servers do not have identical h/w or configurations, I have a
floppy set for each.

2) Create cpio tape backup of "/". I've excluded my "application"
directories as they would be restored from more recent backup tapes after
the fact.

Now here's the stuff that I'm not sure of:

1) Assume a disaster happens and my HD melts down. I replace it. Now,
should I do a reinstall of the o/s, then restore the cpio over top of it to
get back to where I was? Or should I (working from the emergency floppy
set) try to re-fdisk, re-divvy, and restore to the HD from the cpio tape?
If the latter, there's a bunch of boot-related stuff at the beginning of
the HD. How do I get that back on? I assume I could dd it back on, but
where's the source of the dd? Should I dump something to the beginning of
my backup tape?

Seems to me that the first scenario may take longer, but be a lot less
complicated.

2) *CAN* I restore from a cpio tape to get my o/s back? Does that actually
work, or do I get something crippled and deformed?

3) assuming I can, and I want to do it from the floppy set, is the
procedure:
        fdisk -f /dev/rhd00 (my boot HD) and fdisk it as per original
        divvy the partitions as per original
            mkfs the partitions (I don't know if divvy will do this
automatically in such a situation)
            mount the /dev/root and /dev/boot to (maybe) /mnt and
/mnt/stand (hm. does this restore the bootup part of the disk?)
            cd to /mnt
            cpio -i from the tape with absolute pathname suppression

Can anyone with some experience in this area please comment?

Post by Pat Welc » Sat, 03 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> I'm "planning for the future" and I just want to toss out some thoughts and
> ask for comments.

> (Note for those who will immediately suggest that I buy this or that backup
> product: That's all very fine and dandy, but using a product whose inner
> workings I don't understand is too much like depending on voodoo.)

> I have several SCO OpenServer 5.02 boxes, and I'd like to be prepared for
> disasters like disk crashes. So here's what I see has to be done....

> 1) Create root and boot floppies (duh!). I've also sone a few extra things
> like made sure that the device nodes for my mountable filesystems are in
> there too. (/dev/oracle mounts on /oracle, etc etc). I've made sure that
> all programs like cpio, tar, vi, are on the root floppies as well. Since my
> various servers do not have identical h/w or configurations, I have a
> floppy set for each.

> 2) Create cpio tape backup of "/". I've excluded my "application"
> directories as they would be restored from more recent backup tapes after
> the fact.

> Now here's the stuff that I'm not sure of:

> 1) Assume a disaster happens and my HD melts down. I replace it. Now,
> should I do a reinstall of the o/s, then restore the cpio over top of it to
> get back to where I was? Or should I (working from the emergency floppy
> set) try to re-fdisk, re-divvy, and restore to the HD from the cpio tape?
> If the latter, there's a bunch of boot-related stuff at the beginning of
> the HD. How do I get that back on? I assume I could dd it back on, but
> where's the source of the dd? Should I dump something to the beginning of
> my backup tape?

> Seems to me that the first scenario may take longer, but be a lot less
> complicated.

> 2) *CAN* I restore from a cpio tape to get my o/s back? Does that actually
> work, or do I get something crippled and deformed?

> 3) assuming I can, and I want to do it from the floppy set, is the
> procedure:
>         fdisk -f /dev/rhd00 (my boot HD) and fdisk it as per original
>         divvy the partitions as per original
>             mkfs the partitions (I don't know if divvy will do this
> automatically in such a situation)
>             mount the /dev/root and /dev/boot to (maybe) /mnt and
> /mnt/stand (hm. does this restore the bootup part of the disk?)
>             cd to /mnt
>             cpio -i from the tape with absolute pathname suppression

> Can anyone with some experience in this area please comment?

You have an interesting perspective on using 'voodoo' products.

I assume you have the source for SCO cpio and that makes you comfortable
with cpio??

Then you are aware that cpio is not capable of bit-level verification of
your precious data?

D/L one of the 'super-tar' demos, read the readme's, generate their far
more capable
emergency boot set and answer a couple of questions to automatically
setup cron backups that automatically do a BIT LEVEL verify of
everything written on the tape.

Then go home and don't worry about it at night.

And, yes, with a super-tar boot/root set you do NOT have to do anything
but boot from floppy, insert the FS diskette and then insert your last
backup tape.

;)

Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services
           A SCO Authorized Reseller
           (209) 745-1401 Fax: (209) 745-5640
           Nationwide pager: (800) 608-7122

Post by Dave Rac » Tue, 06 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> I'm "planning for the future" and I just want to toss out some thoughts and
> ask for comments.

> (Note for those who will immediately suggest that I buy this or that backup
> product: That's all very fine and dandy, but using a product whose inner
> workings I don't understand is too much like depending on voodoo.)

[Snip ...]

All I can offer is first-hand experience. EST's BRU (www.estinc.com) is
a great package that is affordable, does bit-level verification, has
great reporting facilities and creates recovery floppies for disaster
recovery.

Recovery consists of replacing the failed boot disk, booting from the
recovery floppies and restoring from tape.  I used to manage the HW
department of a VAR and we used BRU extensively.  I have personally
recovered half a dozen systems with it and my people have done many more
than that.

Check it out.

PS. No, I have no affiliation with EST or BRU.

UNIX/WAN Admin-at-large        http://home.earthlink.net/~drace
          "I have given up my search for truth,
         and am now looking for a good fantasy."
                                  - (c) Ashleigh Brilliant
                                    used by permission.

1. Disaster recovery/Backup procedure wanted

Does anyone have a faq or manual for step-by-step procedures to
create emergency Linux boot and root disks containg the required
commands to create and restore a file from system which has a complex
kernal such as SCSI+net+IDE+CDROM?

Dave

* On the Web: http://www.wlv.ac.uk/~cm4272/home.html *
* "Our Hamburgers are made with beef" - McDonald's   *

2. Anybody interested in developing a non-commercial distribution?

3. Disaster Recovery Procedures

4. vi 'ing' more than 2 files

5. DiskSuite tape image disaster recovery procedure needed

6. Virtual terminals

7. Need help with HPUX disaster recovery procedures

8. Konqueror does not display GIF's

9. Solaris8 Disaster recovery procedure

10. Backup and disaster recovery

11. Full system backup for disaster recovery

12. Backup whole SAP-System for Disaster-Recovery AIX

13. disaster recovery backup and restore