Unix/Xenix on the 386

Post by jen.. » Mon, 02 Apr 1990 15:45:00

Perhaps I have missed the discussion but I'm hearing a number of rumours about
bugs in the Intel 80386 when running under Unix/Xenix. Apparently the chips
can be returned for new ones even. Has anyone ever run SCO Xenix on the 386?
-- Mike Jensen

Unix/Xenix on the 386

Post by Rich Bilanc » Wed, 02 May 1990 23:12:00

Quote:> Perhaps I have missed the discussion but I'm hearing a number of rumours about
> bugs in the Intel 80386 when running under Unix/Xenix. Apparently the chips
> can be returned for new ones even. Has anyone ever run SCO Xenix on the 386?
> -- Mike Jensen

Not only have I gotten SCO XENIX to run on a Compaq Deskpro/386 flawlessly,
I've also installed an Intel Inboard/386 processor in an AT compatible and
have that working with SCO XENIX.

I also have written an article for the August issue of UNIX/World taking a
first look at XENIX System V/386 in both of the above hardware environments.
                             ^^^
Keep an eye open for it.
---
"Adversity is the crucible from which greatness is forged." - Ken Baker
   ____       ____         ___
  / _  \     / _  \       / _ \         Richard A. Bilancia
 / / \_/    / / \_/   _   \ \\/         Computer Guidance & Support
/ /        / /  _    | |   \ \          P. O. Box 620127
\ \   _    \ \ | \  | + |   \ \         Littleton, Colorado  80162
 \ \_/ \    \ \_| \  |_|  /\_| \        voice: (303) 973-4035
  \____/     \____/       \____/
                                        hao!{udenva|isis}!bilanc!rab
 Multi-User Accounting Solutions        attmail!bilanc!rab

Unix/Xenix on the 386

Post by Michael Berm » Wed, 02 May 1990 18:09:00

> Subject: Unix/Xenix on the 386
> Date: 30 Apr 87 18:45:07 GMT

> Perhaps I have missed the discussion but I'm hearing a number of rumours about
> bugs in the Intel 80386 when running under Unix/Xenix. Apparently the chips
> can be returned for new ones even. Has anyone ever run SCO Xenix on the 386?
> -- Mike Jensen
> -----------------------------

Certain Intel 386 chips come up with the wrong answer when doing a 32 bit
add.  There is a fairly simple program available from Intel which tests
for this bug.  The current release of SCO Xenix is not effected by this bug
because it is running 286 code--not 386.  The new 386 OS release will/has
this test program incorporated in it as part of the install procedure.
Since the addition bug will adversely effect the OS, if the test program
detects an error in the CPU the install will fail and notify the user
that they should replace their CPU.

                                Michael Berman

Unix/Xenix on the 386

Post by Robert Re » Wed, 02 May 1990 03:36:00

    Certain Intel 386 chips come up with the wrong answer when doing a 32
    bit add.

Funny, what I read is that in protected mode (and only protected mode),
there were 16 x 10^18th (exponent from memory and probably approximate)
pairs of operands to the multiply instruction which will generate the wrong
results.  Perhaps there is more than one bug left in the 386.
--

Unix/Xenix on the 386

Post by Tony Hold » Wed, 02 May 1990 10:05:00

Quote:

> I also have written an article for the August issue of UNIX/World taking a
> first look at XENIX System V/386 in both of the above hardware environments.
>                              ^^^
> Keep an eye open for it.

Gee Rich, not that I won't look for and read your article, but how about a
hint.  Do we have to wait till August to at least find out if it's any good
or not?  Just a one liner might do.

Tony Holden
ihnp4!killer!tony

Unix/Xenix on the 386

Post by Steven C. Neigho » Wed, 02 May 1990 15:38:00

Quote:>Perhaps I have missed the discussion but I'm hearing a number of rumours about
>bugs in the Intel 80386 when running under Unix/Xenix. Apparently the chips
>can be returned for new ones even. Has anyone ever run SCO Xenix on the 386?
>-- Mike Jensen

Intel has admitted to a problem with incorrect results on some multiply
combinations in native 32-bit mode. These problems will not surface
running msdos or '286 unix/xenix on your 80386, but they *could* appear
when running an 80386 operating system.

Yes, Xenix *and* unix are running on the 80386. Microport Systems Inc of
Scotts Valley Ca is taking orders for a full 80386 version of SV3 that is
to be delivered in July. Rumor has it that they are currently getting
SVID ok from AT&T. The price is supposed to be around $800 for the software
development kit, the text preparation kit, and the runtime system.

The recent large posting of Dhrystone benchmarks listed several entries
for Xenix 386 (also SV3) running on Multibus equipment. While I haven't
seen any non-beta/end-user sites running either of these systems, I HOPE
it is only a matter of time until anyone who has a 80386 can start actually
using the other 50% of the silicon that until now has gone to waste
emulating lesser chips.
--
Steven C. Neighorn                tektronix!{psu-cs,reed}!qiclab!neighorn
Portland Public Schools      "Where we train young Star Fighters to defend the

Unix/Xenix on the 386

Post by Rich Bilanc » Wed, 02 May 1990 13:38:00

> > I also have written an article for the August issue of UNIX/World taking a
> > first look at XENIX System V/386 in both of the above hardware environments.
> >                              ^^^
> > Keep an eye open for it.

> Gee Rich, not that I won't look for and read your article, but how about a
> hint.  Do we have to wait till August to at least find out if it's any good
> or not?  Just a one liner might do.

> Tony Holden
> ihnp4!killer!tony

OK, here's some of the article

Either UNIX systems really are getting easier to install or I'm just
getting used to the level of difficulty.
But, I really think that it's the former because XENIX 386
is easier to install than any other version of XENIX that I've used.
The default installation is with a single hard disk partition on the
primary hard disk and a reasonable default swap space of 2.5MB.

The system seems very fast while reading diskettes, formatting the hard drive,
booting the system, and screen refreshing in general.
Those impressions were not incorrect as you'll see below.

One of the significant limitations of XENIX on the other Intel
microprocessors is the way that memory is allocated in 64K segments, requiring
the implementation of memory models that are selected by the applications
programmer at compilation time.
The four 80286 memory models are called small, medium, large and huge.
The 80386 microprocessor also allocates its virtual memory in segments, but the
segments in the 386 world are 4 gigabytes large.
This limitation should hardly ever, if ever at all, be a problem for
application developers.
In fact, the elimination of this memory model (if you'll excuse me) nonsense
will likely attract many MC68000 enthusiasts to the roles of XENIX 386
developers.

Of course I had to verify the
promise of upwards XENIX software portability, so
I chose to check two of my favorite XENIX System V/286 tools:
the Korn Shell from Aspen Technology (Parsipanny, New Jersey) and
the Accell Integrated Development System from Unify Corporation (Sacramento,
California).
True to the XENIX promise of binary code compatibility, both products
performed flawlessly in the XENIX 386 environment.

The only problem that I experienced with XENIX 386 was a bug in the Gamma
Release kernel that was documented and corrected too late for inclusion in the
Gamma Release 3.05.

The one other thing that did surprise me with many of the utilities that are
distributed with XENIX 386 is that they are not recompiled 386 code, but
rather the same executables that are distributed with XENIX System V/286.

1. Unix/Xenix on the 386 - (nf)

altos is shipping xenix-V on their machines 'model 2000'.
it uses an intel 80386 ( 16.7Mhz, 32kb cache mem )

questions? details? feel free to mail me!

Hans Korneder     UUCP:      somwhere!mcvax!unido!altger!korn
                  SNAILMAIL: Gebsattelstr. 32, D-8000 Muenchen 90
                  VOICE:     +49 89 4488373
----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip----
                                      +-------------------------------------+
The opinions above are my own.        | Advertising space for rent !        |
They can be yours too !!              | Send requests to the adress above ! |
Send $57.95 to the adress above.      +-------------------------------------+
(Offer void where prohibited by law or good taste)

2. strace

3. Info request, Xenix, Uport, Bell Tech (SVR3/386)

4. Device driver help requested

5. !!! Help !!! Keyboard lockup installing SCO Xenix 386 2.3

6. XMMS 1.0.1 not compiling

7. UUCP on SCO Xenix '386 2.2.2 (bad boy)

8. security mailling list

9. Should XENIX 386 and SCSI DAT Tape work?

10. Xenix Cross Development from 386 to 286

11. Messages queues in SCO XENIX 386

12. vpix and Xenix/386, part 2

13. CSS Lab Motherboard + SCO Xenix 386