umount /cdrom ==> Device busy?

umount /cdrom ==> Device busy?

Post by Jian Zh » Thu, 11 Mar 1993 00:25:49



We have been in trouble umounting /cdrom due to 'device busy' on
SunOS4.1.3/Sparc 2 platform. We failed to locate any processes running
related to the cdrom. That left us no choice but rebooting.

I thought there should be a better way to do it. Therefore I want to
ask you a question: How do you force umount /cdrom or an external
drive?


--

 
 
 

umount /cdrom ==> Device busy?

Post by Rich Verl Willia » Fri, 12 Mar 1993 02:44:04



>We have been in trouble umounting /cdrom due to 'device busy' on
>SunOS4.1.3/Sparc 2 platform. We failed to locate any processes running
>related to the cdrom. That left us no choice but rebooting.

In our case Sun's, HP & RS600 this has all most always been
caused by someone having cd into the directory and all we saw
was a csh or ksh with ps. In the 3 cases I know of I had to
kill someone's shell or go to their workstation/Terminal and
cd off the CD-ROM. Hope this helps.

>I thought there should be a better way to do it. Therefore I want to
>ask you a question: How do you force umount /cdrom or an external
>drive?


>--


 Best regards,

 Rich  Williams               |  Systems Administrator

                              |  Math Department
 #include <std/disclaimer.h>  |  West Lafayette, IN 47907

 
 
 

umount /cdrom ==> Device busy?

Post by der Mou » Mon, 15 Mar 1993 22:32:36



> We have been in trouble umounting /cdrom due to 'device busy' on
> SunOS4.1.3/Sparc 2 platform. We failed to locate any processes
> running related to the cdrom. That left us no choice but rebooting.

What methods did you use to find such processes?

Quote:> I thought there should be a better way to do it.  Therefore I want to
> ask you a question: How do you force umount /cdrom or an external
> drive?

What you want can't be done.  If someone has the filesystem open,
forcibly unmounting it would at the very least send that process down
in flames, so they just punt and make you kill the process off first.
(It would be nice to be able to do something with <exiting> processes,
but I see no indication they're involved in this case.)

If you believe such a process existed but you just couldn't find it,
perhaps you weren't using the right tools.  I've found ofiles very
useful when searching for processes that are holding filesystems open.

                                        der Mouse


 
 
 

umount /cdrom ==> Device busy?

Post by Howard Hua » Thu, 25 Mar 1993 00:21:17


   >We have been in trouble umounting /cdrom due to 'device busy' on
   >SunOS4.1.3/Sparc 2 platform.

We've been able to totally confuse our 4.1.3 IPX as well.  Through
some sequence or other (I can't remember any details), we ended up in
a position where umount results in "device busy", yet we could eject
the disk with the button.  But trying to mount another CD resulted in
another "device busy."  Finally the system panicked, and the reboot
cleared things up.

   >How do you force umount /cdrom or an external drive?

Sun's Online DiskSuite product includes a new version of umount which
has a -F option:

     -F   Forcibly unmount the file system.  (See lockfs(8) for a
          description  of file system hard locking.)  This option
          is only supported on 4.2 type file systems.

I don't know much about it.
--
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The MITRE Corporation  *  202 Burlington Road MS K-306  *  Bedford, MA 01730

 
 
 

umount /cdrom ==> Device busy?

Post by John Chambe » Fri, 02 Apr 1993 02:40:20




> > We have been in trouble umounting /cdrom due to 'device busy' on
> > SunOS4.1.3/Sparc 2 platform. We failed to locate any processes
> > running related to the cdrom. That left us no choice but rebooting.

> If you believe such a process existed but you just couldn't find it,
> perhaps you weren't using the right tools.  I've found ofiles very
> useful when searching for processes that are holding filesystems open.

Yes, ofiles is a neat little  tool,  but  it  doesn't  come  close  to
working  on  Sys/V.   How  would one go about asking "Who has /foo/bar
open?" on a Sys/V machine?  As near as I can tell from TFM, the answer
is  "Start killing processes until the problem goes away, and the last
program you killed was the one with the file open." There oughta be  a
better way ...

("Don't use Sys/V" is another answer, I suppose, but it's  not  always
an available alternative.  ;-)

--
Unix trivia question of the day:  What does the following command do:
        find . '*.bak' -exec rm -f {} ';'
Bonus question: Is there any way to undo the damage?

 
 
 

umount /cdrom ==> Device busy?

Post by Srinivasan S. » Sun, 04 Apr 1993 03:49:39


I hate to add more '>' s , but ...




>> > We have been in trouble umounting /cdrom due to 'device busy' on
>> > SunOS4.1.3/Sparc 2 platform. We failed to locate any processes
>> > running related to the cdrom. That left us no choice but rebooting.

>> If you believe such a process existed but you just couldn't find it,
>> perhaps you weren't using the right tools.  I've found ofiles very
>> useful when searching for processes that are holding filesystems open.

>Yes, ofiles is a neat little  tool,  but  it  doesn't  come  close  to
>working  on  Sys/V.   How  would one go about asking "Who has /foo/bar
>open?" on a Sys/V machine?  As near as I can tell from TFM, the answer
>is  "Start killing processes until the problem goes away, and the last
>program you killed was the one with the file open." There oughta be  a
>better way ...

>("Don't use Sys/V" is another answer, I suppose, but it's  not  always
>an available alternative.  ;-)

In SVR4 you can use fuser.

 NAME
           fuser - identify processes using a file or file structure

SYNOPSIS
          /usr/sbin/fuser [-[c|f]ku] files | resources [[-] [[c|f]ku]
                                                                                files | resources] . . .

SVR4 is always the alternative :-)

Srini
------------------------------------------------------------------
Srinivasan S.R.                                Phone : (803)750-9534

 
 
 

umount /cdrom ==> Device busy?

Post by Bengt Alverbo » Tue, 06 Apr 1993 17:38:12




>   >We have been in trouble umounting /cdrom due to 'device busy' on
>   >SunOS4.1.3/Sparc 2 platform.
>We've been able to totally confuse our 4.1.3 IPX as well.  Through
>some sequence or other (I can't remember any details), we ended up in
>a position where umount results in "device busy", yet we could eject
>the disk with the button.  But trying to mount another CD resulted in
>another "device busy."  Finally the system panicked, and the reboot
>cleared things up.

Just a comment...

I assume you checked that you weren't actually in the /cdrom directory
when trying to umount? It's easy to do that mistake. Just do an cd /
before umounting.
Maybe this was too easy an answer - but then again: sometimes the simplest
answers are those who work...

Regards,
Bengt
--

Ericsson Telecom AB              ///       Phone: +46 8 7199002 (work)
S-126 25 Stockholm, Sweden      (0 0)      Memo : ETXALVE  ECN : 85099002
-----------------------------ooO-(_)-Ooo---------------------------------

 
 
 

1. umount /cdrom : Device busy?

Hello,

I hope I am in a right group. If not, please point me to right direction.

Anyway, I have a question about unmounting /cdrom or an external hard
drive on Sun Sparc platform/SunOS 4.1.3. Sometimes you just can't
unmount it because the device is busy. I know there might be some
processes left running which use the resources on that disk. I can
use fuser and ps commands to track down what processes are left
over the network for some applications such as the AnswerBook. But
it's impossible to keep track of generic processes related to the
/cdrom or an external drive.

My question is that is there any way to force umount /cdrom or an
external drive without asking everybody to log out or shutdown
the server.

I appreciate any help from you.


--

2. dead httpd indefinate hang of solaris tcp port

3. umount: /dev/{device}: device is busy

4. compiling source code

5. Cannot umount cdrom - Gnome keeps it busy

6. message queue example request

7. /mnt/CDROM is busy. cannot umount

8. Not possible to set program in the background :( &

9. "Device is busy" msg from umount...

10. umount: /usr: device busy

11. Q: umount says device busy despite fuser shows nothing

12. Umount...device busy during shutdown ???

13. mkcd generic AIX 5.1 across two CDs umount error - Device Busy