Mail from Daemons

Post by Alan Conno » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 12:16:05

I keep hearing about mail sent from local daemons, but get no such thing
myself.

Would someone give me a  brief overview of the subject, please?

Debian 3.0 Linux

Alan

--
       There's no place like ~

Mail from Daemons

Post by Tim Hammerquis » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 16:07:48

Alan Connor graced us by uttering:

Quote:> I keep hearing about mail sent from local daemons, but get no
> such thing myself.

> Would someone give me a  brief overview of the subject, please?

> Debian 3.0 Linux

Assuming you have all mail for root redirected to your personal
account, my Debian daemons don't send me much email except when
there are problems.  In this sense, no mail is good mail.

If you haven't redirected root's mail yet, try:

$ su -
Password:
# mail

...and see if there's anything there.

Generally all my Deb system sends me is output/errors from system
cron jobs or debconf issues.  I've never gotten any "Hey, you're
the best sysadmin a sys could hope for; keep it up!", so try not
to be too eager. ;)

HTH,
Tim Hammerquist
--
Angel: The "Gateway for Lost Souls"... is under the Post Office?
Doyle: Makes sense if you think about it.

Mail from Daemons

Post by Alan Conno » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 04:56:45

Quote:> Alan Connor graced us by uttering:
>> I keep hearing about mail sent from local daemons, but get no
>> such thing myself.

>> Would someone give me a  brief overview of the subject, please?

>> Debian 3.0 Linux

> Assuming you have all mail for root redirected to your personal
> account, my Debian daemons don't send me much email except when
> there are problems.  In this sense, no mail is good mail.

> If you haven't redirected root's mail yet, try:

How would I do that? (without an MTA. I use ssmtp, which is a HIGHLY
abreviated sendmail derivitive.)

Quote:

> $ su -
> Password:
> # mail

> ...and see if there's anything there.

> Generally all my Deb system sends me is output/errors from system
> cron jobs or debconf issues.  I've never gotten any "Hey, you're
> the best sysadmin a sys could hope for; keep it up!", so try not
> to be too eager. ;)

> HTH,
> Tim Hammerquist

Thanks Tim. No mail. Didn't know about the "-" for "root"  syntax.

Alan

--
       There's no place like ~

Mail from Daemons

Post by Tim Hammerquis » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 07:06:18

Alan Connor graced us by uttering:

>> Alan Connor graced us by uttering:
>>> I keep hearing about mail sent from local daemons, but get no
>>> such thing myself.

>>> Would someone give me a  brief overview of the subject, please?

>>> Debian 3.0 Linux

>> Assuming you have all mail for root redirected to your
>> personal account, my Debian daemons don't send me much email
>> except when there are problems.  In this sense, no mail is
>> good mail.

> How would I do that? (without an MTA. I use ssmtp, which is a
> HIGHLY abreviated sendmail derivitive.)

You'd need an MTA.  I don't work with ssmtp, but from the deb
package description, your system may not have any way to send
mail between users, which could be a large contributor to your
not seeing any system mail.  :)

Consider installing a real MTA.  Both postfix and exim are quite
capable, as well as much smaller and simpler to configure.

Quote:>> If you haven't redirected root's mail yet, try:

Once you have an MTA, edit /etc/aliases and add/edit a line:

    root: your_user_name

Thereafter, all mail destined for root will be directed to you.

Quote:>> $ su -
>> Password:
>> # mail

>> ...and see if there's anything there.

> Thanks Tim. No mail. Didn't know about the "-" for "root"
> syntax.

The '-' doesn't indicate root.  Any invocation of su without an
explicit username defaults to root.  The addition of '-' after su
indicates you want to open a login session under the new user,
which can be subtly but importantly different.  Check the
documentation for your shell (bash, eg) for differences. (I'm not
sure a login session was necessary for this example, but
hopefully you learned something.)

Tim Hammerquist
--
If there's anything more important than my
ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mail from Daemons

Post by Alan Conno » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 17:55:38

> Alan Connor graced us by uttering:

>>> Alan Connor graced us by uttering:

>>> Assuming you have all mail for root redirected to your
>>> personal account, my Debian daemons don't send me much email
>>> except when there are problems.  In this sense, no mail is
>>> good mail.

>> How would I do that? (without an MTA. I use ssmtp, which is a
>> HIGHLY abreviated sendmail derivitive.)

> You'd need an MTA.  I don't work with ssmtp, but from the deb
> package description, your system may not have any way to send
> mail between users, which could be a large contributor to your
> not seeing any system mail.  :)

> Consider installing a real MTA.  Both postfix and exim are quite
> capable, as well as much smaller and simpler to configure.

No way. Those things are baroque nightmares. I am not administering the
mail for a large LAN.

Have heard that you can have the mail from root sent to your POP server
with ssmtp, to be retrieved with the usual mail.......

Quote:

>>> If you haven't redirected root's mail yet, try:

> Once you have an MTA, edit /etc/aliases and add/edit a line:

>     root: your_user_name

> Thereafter, all mail destined for root will be directed to you.

Will remember that, in case I ever have to install an MTA.

Quote:>>> $ su -
>>> Password:
>>> # mail

>>> ...and see if there's anything there.

>> Thanks Tim. No mail. Didn't know about the "-" for "root"
>> syntax.

> The '-' doesn't indicate root.  Any invocation of su without an
> explicit username defaults to root.  The addition of '-' after su
> indicates you want to open a login session under the new user,
> which can be subtly but importantly different.  Check the
> documentation for your shell (bash, eg) for differences. (I'm not
> sure a login session was necessary for this example, but
> hopefully you learned something.)

> Tim Hammerquist

Thanks again, Tim. That is an important distinction, isn't it.

Alan

--
       There's no place like ~

1. SUGGESTIONS: Mail relay daemon

I have a Linux server connected to the internet acting as an ip masq,
DNS proxy and DHCP server.  I want to set up a mail server to act
strictly as a mail relay, that is collect the mail from at least 2
different ISP mail servers, store it locally and then make it availiable
to any PC in the house via IMAP so that I can see the SAME mail on any
machine.

I can run IMAP on only one ISP, so using the ISP's imap capabilities is
not a workable solution. Besides I don't want to store MY mail on their
server for an extended period.

Anyone know of a good HOW-TO or example site of how to set this up?
Something a little more specific than the generic mail HOW-TO would be
great.

Email regarding this would be appreciated.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Compiling wine-990923 under FreeBSD

3. Mail-driven daemon for admin stuff

4. Help! Solaris 2.5.1 x86 and Tyan Dual P166 motherboard

5. Best mail popper daemon

6. Information Warfare & Security / Call for Researchers

7. Help with mail routing: Daemon reports Too many hops

8. KPPP - NO CARRIER message

9. How do I delete mail from mail file /var/mail/su after reading mails

10. Sendmaill daemon - Where does it store the mail?

11. The mail daemon

12. BSD Daemon - Some mail's arrived to wrong users

13. Help needed for mail daemon