Nohup Question

Post by Carlisle K » Sun, 16 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Hello!

I recently posted a request for a utility like the nohup program;
someone was kind enough to send me the actual nohup program distributed
by the Open Software Foundation!  Thanks!!

However, it did not come with any help files.  I am not sure as to
the exact methond to log out of the csh and keep processes running.
I type 'nohup <program>'; then, I try to log out and the shell complains
about running jobs.  So I just turn off the modem.  But when I get
back on a few minuetes later, the program is not running.  I did a
'ps' to check for my programs. Nothing.

Can someone explain what I am doing wrong?
Thanks!

Nohup Question

Post by Xiaoyi » Sun, 16 Apr 1995 04:00:00

: Hello!

: I recently posted a request for a utility like the nohup program;
: someone was kind enough to send me the actual nohup program distributed
: by the Open Software Foundation!  Thanks!!

: However, it did not come with any help files.  I am not sure as to
: the exact methond to log out of the csh and keep processes running.
: I type 'nohup <program>'; then, I try to log out and the shell complains
: about running jobs.  So I just turn off the modem.  But when I get
: back on a few minuetes later, the program is not running.  I did a
: 'ps' to check for my programs. Nothing.

Did you put an ampersand after the command line? e.g. 'nohup <program> &'
then you should be fine.

Xiaoyi

Nohup Question

Post by Elliot Smorodins » Wed, 19 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>I am not sure as to
>the exact methond to log out of the csh and keep processes running.

        I'd suggest you use 'screen', also a program from the FSF (I think --
it's freely available on the net, that much I know). It not only allows you to
log out while leaving jobs running, it also allows you to (among other things)
log back in later and pick up where you left off. Nifty little animal.

Quote:>Thanks!

--

"I have written the tale of our lives/ For a sheltered people's mirth /
In jesting guise -- But ye are wise... / And you know what jest is worth."

Nohup Question

Post by Thanh » Fri, 21 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>>I am not sure as to
>>the exact methond to log out of the csh and keep processes running.
>    I'd suggest you use 'screen', also a program from the FSF (I think --
>it's freely available on the net, that much I know). It not only allows you to
>log out while leaving jobs running, it also allows you to (among other things)
>log back in later and pick up where you left off. Nifty little animal.

I believe that you are talking about 'C-a d' command (detach a screen session)?

Thanh Ma

1. nohup question

I wish to use nohup to generate a numerical database. So nohup is the
choice. Like this:
        nohup myprogram > nohup.out 2>&1 &
When I logout and login again to check, myprogram is not running
there.

Any one had similiar experience? It seems that nohup is not working as
intended.

Jinsong Zhao

2. Netscape 3.0 Linux Problem!!

3. Nohup question