rlogin vs. telnet - How do they differ?

Post by FRANTISEK STEPAN » Wed, 11 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I have the following problem:

When I use rlogin to connect to a remote host, I sometimes get a message
"Host is unreachable". When I use telnet, I get connected to the same host
immediately and without any problems, which implies that the host is not at
all "unreachable". Does anybody know what might cause the problem and what
is the difference in the way rlogin and telnet establish connections with
remote hosts? Any suggestions welcome.

                                Thanks, Frantisek Stepanek.

Post by Leslie Mikese » Wed, 11 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>>I have the following problem:

>>When I use rlogin to connect to a remote host, I sometimes get a message
>>"Host is unreachable". When I use telnet, I get connected to the same host
>>immediately and without any problems, which implies that the host is not at

>Make sure the /etc/hosts file is readable to the everyone (i.e. at least
>r--r--r-- permissions).  When this isn't the case, weird results occur --
>some programs work while others *out or even freeze for several minutes.

More likely the destination host is trying to reverse-resolve the
source IP address to determine your hostname (and thus whether you
need a "password" prompt or not) before allowing the connection.  If
your DNS server is misconfigured or unavailable, the query may fail
or time out.  The remote host may try to resolve the name for a
telnet connection too, but most don't care if it fails since you
have to give a password anyway.

Les Mikesell

Post by Steve Kive » Thu, 12 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>I have the following problem:

>When I use rlogin to connect to a remote host, I sometimes get a message
>"Host is unreachable". When I use telnet, I get connected to the same host
>immediately and without any problems, which implies that the host is not at

Make sure the /etc/hosts file is readable to the everyone (i.e. at least
r--r--r-- permissions).  When this isn't the case, weird results occur --
some programs work while others *out or even freeze for several minutes.

This may not be your problem, but it's worth a look.

Steve Kives

1. telnet vs. rsh vs. rlogin ???

I use telnet when logging into remote hosts, but I know rsh and rlogin
can do basically the same thing.

1. What are the advantages/disadvantages of using these commands?
   I guess I'm trying to find out if one is particularly BETTER than
   the others.

2. Does anyone know of documentation (books or Web sites) that
   possibly compare these commands?  I know I can read the man pages
   but that doesn't really give me a GOOD side-by-side comparison.

Your comments and opinions are appreciated!

2. PPP problems

3. telnet 0 vs telnet `hostname` vs telnet 127.0.0.1

4. fdisk: taging of extended partitions

5. DOS vs. Windows vs. Mac vs. Unix vs. NS

6. Video timings

7. Using linux to telnet/ftp/rlogin INTO a DOS machine?

8. Unix Professionals

9. telnet vs. rlogin

10. rlogin vs. telnet ?

11. Telnet vs Rlogin detection in .cshrc

12. rlogin vs. telnet

13. telnet vs rlogin:RedHat 6.2