.F suffix

Post by Ben Dav » Wed, 21 Sep 1994 02:19:53

xxxxx.F is a new one to me. Anyone help me out ?

Thanks,

Ben

Ben Davis,
MRC Protein Function and Design,
Cambridge, UK

"They can make me do it, but they can't make me do it with dignity."

1. MAKE: How to replace suffix rule with non-suffix action

I'm running under IBM AIX 3.2.5, using the "standard" /bin/make.  I have
a suffix rule which is fine for almost all of my work, except for one
file which I need to create by a different method.  Here is a simplified
version of my suffix rule:

        .SUFFIXES : .eps .kumac

        .kumac.eps :

My problem arises that in one of my directories, I need to have a file
foo.eps create which is a symbolic link to ../foo.eps.  I created an
explicit rule

        foo.eps : ../foo.eps
                cd $(?D) && $(MAKE) $(MAKEFLAGS) $(?F)

which fails, because "$?" expands to "foo.kumac ../foo.eps" and cd fails
with in valid syntax (obviously).

I thought I could override the suffix rule with

        foo.eps : foo.kumac
                ;

but of course this, in conjunction with my rule above, fails in make
because you can't have two different actions for a target, when single
colons are used.

So, I tried

        foo.eps :: ../foo.eps
                { as above }

        foo.eps :: foo.kumac
                ;

but this also fails!  Even with the explicit dependency listed second,
make *STILL* tries to follow the dependency rule, crashing because of
course "foo.kumac" doesn't exist in my current directory, nor should it.

How can I _replace_ a suffix-rule dependency with a different dependency,
and have the suffix-rule never executed, for a specific file?  I still
need to have the rule around for all of the other files in my directory,
except "foo.eps".
                                                -- Mike Kelsey
--
[ My opinions are not endorsed by SLAC, Caltech, or the US government ]
 "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.  Attack ships on fire

2. split

3. Somewhat broken in networking, 2.5.44{any suffix}

4. Solaris 8 & SUN SPARC machines

5. How to make apache search for files given a URL with no suffix?

6. Telnetd hangs on OSR5

7. Suffix files..

8. Sanyo H94a CDROM & MediaVision Prosonic 16 (Jazz)

9. basename: removing suffix, not prefix

10. ~ suffixed files

11. ?? about make suffix rule

12. basename in Solaris: How does the "suffix" thing work?

13. Directory List of files excluding files without a suffix