Does Awk for Dos exist?

Post by fin » Sat, 02 Jul 1994 23:41:52

        One of the secretaries in our office must spend close to an
hour every day stripping the headers from about 60 email messages and
concatinating them into an easy read format for our busy Director.  I
immediately thought of awk as a program that could easily automate
this task.  Unfortuantely we are working in dos, and not unix.  Does a
form of awk for dos exist?  If not, does anyone know of a dos utility
that could automate this task?

finn
--
"I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it."
                                        --  Jack Handey

Does Awk for Dos exist?

Post by Arnold Robbi » Sun, 03 Jul 1994 03:34:16

>  Does a form of awk for dos exist?

The answer is yes. GNU Awk and 'mawk' both implement awk and can be
compiled on DOS. ftp to prep.ai.mit.edu, get /pub/gnu/gawk-2.15.5.tar.gz,
uncompress, untar, and build.  Or get mawk from oxy.edu, I don't remember
the path. Commercially, there is MKS awk from the MKS toolkit. Of course,
personally I prefer a version where you have the source code.

Gawk binaries for dos and os/2 are out on the net, use archie to find
them.
--
Arnold Robbins --- Continuing Education, College of Computing
Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0280    Phone: +1 404 894 9214 (has voice mail)

jmp_buf env; setjmp(env);  /* save the environment! (p.c. code) */

Does Awk for Dos exist?

Post by Jennifer Rad » Sun, 03 Jul 1994 04:01:54

:       One of the secretaries in our office must spend close to an
: hour every day stripping the headers from about 60 email messages and
: concatinating them into an easy read format for our busy Director.  I
: immediately thought of awk as a program that could easily automate
: this task.  Unfortuantely we are working in dos, and not unix.  Does a
: form of awk for dos exist?  If not, does anyone know of a dos utility
: that could automate this task?

There are several toolkits out there that put unix-like commands onto
DOS systems.  We *bought* one called MKS Toolkit which offered everything
from ls and man pages to vi and awk.  I'm sure there's probably something out
on the net somewhere, but if you're willing to pay for something, I don't
think it was very expensive.

Wait, here's an add for it in my "Unix Central" catalogue...

DOS     PC 286/386/486; MS-DOS 2.0+     3F,5F
1 user...........$299
5-CPU LAN........$269/user

The sales phone number on the catalogue is 1-800-532-1771

I used it when I was working on a PC here a couple of years ago, and thought
it was great.  (Especially compared to DOS!!!!)

Well, that's a starting point for you anyways.  Happy hunting.

--

 Jennifer Radon

Does Awk for Dos exist?

Post by Jozsef Ferin » Sun, 03 Jul 1994 06:49:35

>>  Does a form of awk for dos exist?

>The answer is yes. GNU Awk and 'mawk' both implement awk and can be
>compiled on DOS. ftp to prep.ai.mit.edu, get /pub/gnu/gawk-2.15.5.tar.gz,
>uncompress, untar, and build.  Or get mawk from oxy.edu, I don't remember
>the path. Commercially, there is MKS awk from the MKS toolkit. Of course,
>personally I prefer a version where you have the source code.

A compiled versions are on SimTel and garbo. Check the index files.

Best regards, Jozsef

--

Freie Universitaet Berlin
Institut fuer Organische Chemie       Tel:   +49.30.838-2677, 838-5363

Does Awk for Dos exist?

Post by Konrad Hambri » Sun, 03 Jul 1994 11:37:55

>: form of awk for dos exist?  If not, does anyone know of a dos utility
>: that could automate this task?

finn --

Check out the simtel archive ( oak.oakland.edu )

Directory pub/msdos/awk/
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
awk320.zip    B   98194  910713  AWK text scanning and processing language
awk320sr.zip  B   71366  910713  AWK v3.20 source from author's BBS
awk_rev3.zip  B   14085  900522  Reviews of AWK for MS-DOS, v3
gawk2154.zip  B  228467  940206  GNU Awk: text scanning and processing language
gawk215s.zip  B  571284  940206  Sources for gawk2154.zip (GNU awk)
phf.zip       B    1513  891208  AWK code for handling phone/address database

the gawk prog works very well for me!

-- kjh

Your Staff,  Inc             |  voice:  (619) 585-8611     |
310 Third Ave - Suite C21    |  fax:    (619) 585 8341     |
Chula Vista, CA  91910       |  home:   (619) 423-4451     |

Does Awk for Dos exist?

Post by Barbara Vaugh » Sun, 03 Jul 1994 04:42:04

|>   One of the secretaries in our office must spend close to an
|> hour every day stripping the headers from about 60 email messages and
|> concatinating them into an easy read format for our busy Director.  I
|> immediately thought of awk as a program that could easily automate
|> this task.  Unfortuantely we are working in dos, and not unix.  Does a
|> form of awk for dos exist?  If not, does anyone know of a dos utility
|> that could automate this task?

GNU awk (gawk) exists for DOS.  I transferred an application to DOS with
no changes, but haven't used it other than that.

Barbara Vaughan

Does Awk for Dos exist?

Post by R. Hen » Tue, 05 Jul 1994 15:09:40

>        One of the secretaries in our office must spend close to an
>hour every day stripping the headers from about 60 email messages and
>concatinating them into an easy read format for our busy Director.  I
>immediately thought of awk as a program that could easily automate
>this task.  Unfortuantely we are working in dos, and not unix.  Does a
>form of awk for dos exist?  If not, does anyone know of a dos utility
>that could automate this task?

MKS-Tools, from Mortice Kern Systems Canada includes an excellent
awk interpreter (Posix compatibel).

Does Awk for Dos exist?

Post by Marshall G. Fl » Mon, 11 Jul 1994 04:12:35

>>        One of the secretaries in our office must spend close to an
>>hour every day stripping the headers from about 60 email messages and
>>concatinating them into an easy read format for our busy Director.  I
>>immediately thought of awk as a program that could easily automate
>>this task.  Unfortuantely we are working in dos, and not unix.  Does a
>>form of awk for dos exist?  If not, does anyone know of a dos utility
>>that could automate this task?

Very nice versions of awk exist for MS-DOS.  I personally prefer mawk.
Several are available at ftp://ftp.uu.net/mirrors/msdos/simtel/awk

marshall
--
[Marshall G. Flax -- 718-256-3482 -- 8776 16th Ave #2, Brooklyn, NY 11214-5802]

Does Awk for Dos exist?

Post by john rushford 294-62 » Tue, 12 Jul 1994 00:58:19

>>>        One of the secretaries in our office must spend close to an
>>>hour every day stripping the headers from about 60 email messages and
>>>concatinating them into an easy read format for our busy Director.  I
>>>immediately thought of awk as a program that could easily automate
>>>this task.  Unfortuantely we are working in dos, and not unix.  Does a
>>>form of awk for dos exist?  If not, does anyone know of a dos utility
>>>that could automate this task?

You can purchase MKS toolkit from Mortice Kern Systems, (800) 265-2797.
MKS toolkit has awk, nawk, and most all other UNIX commands for DOS.

John

Does Awk for Dos exist?

Post by Dave Weng » Sat, 16 Jul 1994 00:52:28

>Very nice versions of awk exist for MS-DOS.  I personally prefer mawk.
>Several are available at ftp://ftp.uu.net/mirrors/msdos/simtel/awk

I used to prefer mawk.  For Dos, it works very well, most of the time.  I
am currently a 1990 version of gawk because it also runs native in OS/2,
and it handles input/output properly and it has a larger memory space.  It
is slower, unfortunately.  mawk won't handle system() calls easily, and
input/output redirection gives me errors.  For gawk it works properly as
documented in most awk man pages.

--
David Wenger             | "Showerists believe in the healing, restorative

_The Way of the Shower_  |      and the rituals devoted to the Shower".
   "In the name of the Shower, and the Water, and the Holy Steam, Amen."

Does Awk for Dos exist?

Post by wmika.. » Sat, 16 Jul 1994 01:10:35

I use awk for dos. I know, there is a gnu version of this program
Wmikanik

Does Awk for Dos exist?

Post by Charles Ros » Tue, 19 Jul 1994 14:01:21

There used to be "polyawk" from PVCS. Intersolve or somebody merged/bought
them and I'm not sure if it's still around.

This was shrink-wrapped DOS software. Programmer's Workshop had it a while
back....

-Charles Ross

Does Awk for Dos exist?

Post by Jeremy Mathe » Thu, 21 Jul 1994 08:34:20

>There used to be "polyawk" from PVCS. Intersolve or somebody merged/bought
>them and I'm not sure if it's still around.

It's now Thompson AWK from Thompson Automation and is, no questions asked,
the best AWK for DOS available.  Pure commercial, of course, but very good.

Give them a call at (503) 224-1639.

It is easier to change the specification to fit the program than vice
versa.

          hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars, every time he posts -
rwvpf wpnrrj ibf ijrfer

Does Awk for Dos exist?

Post by Arnold Robbi » Sat, 23 Jul 1994 02:54:27

>I used to prefer mawk.  For Dos, it works very well, most of the time.  I
>am currently a 1990 version of gawk because it also runs native in OS/2,

A 1990 version is extremely OLD. The current version is supported under OS/2,
and it is available at standard OS/2 ftp sites.  As always, you should be
using the latest version of gawk.  Lots of bug fixes, performance improvements,
and new features, particularly over anything from 1990!

--
Arnold Robbins --- Continuing Education, College of Computing
Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0280    Phone: +1 404 894 9214 (has voice mail)

jmp_buf env; setjmp(env);  /* save the environment! (p.c. code) */

Does Awk for Dos exist?

Post by C U E Here Sys » Sun, 24 Jul 1994 06:05:01

HI there,

In about march we should be getting a second PC in our house. I was
concidering trying to network the two machines. One of the machines
is going to be a DOS/Windows affair while the other one is hoping
to become a DOS and Linux setup. I have a few questions that I hope
that someone out there can answer. (The kind of network I'm concid-
ering is peer-to-peer, I think)

1) Using Novell Netware light on the DOS/Windows machine, could it
connect to the Linux machine using standard networking stuff? Would
I be able to have netware on my DOS partition of my Linux/DOS machine
so that when I boot it up using DOS I'm still connected?

2) If I were using the Linux front end for DOOM, could I still play
a multiplayer game across the network? Or would I have to go back to
DOS?

3) Just out of curiosity, could anyone give me info on cost. I've
got a home made estimate (made from various sources) of :

Cabling (roughly)                               :20
                                                ----
Total                                           136

This is a rough estimate, if anyone can confirm or deny this value
please set me straight.

Answers would be much appersiated as it will influence my decision
as to weather to get the network and/or to get Linux.

TTFN and TC, Michael Dales

-'Damn you and your networking problems Q!'-Picard

2. Help needed with QLabel display of a QPixmap

3. accessing dos partitions with wd7000fasst scsi, isc unix 2.2, dos[345]

4. LS-120 (Floppy) ?

5. Uninstall Linux: Deleted "non dos partition" with DOS fdisk -- Now what?!?

6. tcsh: what is the subustitution for (KSH export EDITOR=emacs) <ctrl>-R in command line

7. Samba w/ DOS box - what does DOS need?

8. Problems with Kerberos client

9. Can I boot from DOS to use DOS Device Drivers?

10. Mini Linux coexists in DOS partition and boot from DOS

11. Q: Filenames turnicated DOS to LINUX to DOS?

12. DEFBOOTSTR=dos should this allow dos to boot by default?

13. copying files from unix to dos system in dos readable format