why can't I change the "change time" of a file

why can't I change the "change time" of a file

Post by Noble Thom » Sun, 31 Oct 1999 04:00:00

hi,

Using touch or utime under perl, I can change the access or modification
times of a file, but I am not allowed to change the i-node change time.

Why isn't this possible?

noble

--
N. Thomas

Post by Juergen Hein » Sun, 31 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>hi,

>Using touch or utime under perl, I can change the access or modification
>times of a file, but I am not allowed to change the i-node change time.

>Why isn't this possible?

Guess because a ctime change would imply a ctime change.

Ta-ta,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jrgen Heinzl                 \       no flames      /