I wanna get UNIX on my PC...

Post by L Pederso » Tue, 01 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I have been seriously considering installing a UNIX OS on one of my systems
hard drives to get more practice using it, but I don't know what to get or
where to get it.
Help?

I would like to run UNIX off the smaller hard drive, and keep Win95 on the
larger.

Of course, free is good, and here is what my system is now:
Built-in BIOS: AWARD, Monday, September  5, 1994
Main Processor: Pentium, 60MHz
Math Coprocessor: (Built-In)
Video Adapter: VESA-compatible VGA,  Secondary: None
Mouse Type: Serial Mouse,  Version: 8.1 IRQ: 4
Post by The Nemasy » Tue, 01 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> I have been seriously considering installing a UNIX OS on one of my systems
> hard drives to get more practice using it, but I don't know what to get or
> where to get it.
> Help?

A good place to start would be the fre variants.  Check out:
Linux- http://www.linux.org/
FreeBSD- http://www.freebsd.org/
NetBSD- http://www.netbsd.org/
OpenBSD- http://www.openbsd.org/
UnixWare- http://www.sco.com/offers/

I'm sure that others could add to the list.

--
The Nemasys
Nemasys Technologies

http://www.mindspring.com/~nemasys/

I wanna get UNIX on my PC...

Post by George D » Wed, 02 Jul 1997 04:00:00

]I have been seriously considering installing a UNIX OS on one of my systems
]hard drives to get more practice using it, but I don't know what to get or
]where to get it.
]Help?

Get Linux, any distribution but RedHat is the flavour of the month.
Start at http://www.linux.org

]Of course, free is good

You bet it is, but you might be up for a few dollars for a set of CDs. If your
.edu allows free internet you might be able to download a distribution for free,
but CDs are faster and better because you can go back to them.  Also ask around,
someone near you might have a copy.

--
   ,-,_|\   George Dau
  /    * \  Unix (Solaris, DEC Unix, Linux), NT, Oracle, Internet

        v   WWW:  http://pobox.com/~gedau

I wanna get UNIX on my PC...

Post by The Nemasy » Wed, 02 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> ]I have been seriously considering installing a UNIX OS on one of my systems
> ]hard drives to get more practice using it, but I don't know what to get or
> ]where to get it.
> ]Help?
> Get Linux, any distribution but RedHat is the flavour of the month.
> Start at http://www.linux.org

You may also want to look into:

Post by Robert W Curre » Thu, 03 Jul 1997 04:00:00

: > ]I have been seriously considering installing a UNIX OS on one of my systems
: > ]hard drives to get more practice using it, but I don't know what to get or
: > ]where to get it.
: > ]Help?

: > Get Linux, any distribution but RedHat is the flavour of the month.
: > Start at http://www.linux.org

: You may also want to look into:
: FreeBSD- http://www.freebsd.org/
: OpenBSD- http://www.openbsd.org/
: NetBSD- http://www.netbsd.org/
: UnixWare- http://www.sco.com/offers/

OK, I know NOTHING about Linux, UNIX... Etc.  But I was resently looking
at some posts on another group where they were ranting about Linux not
even really being UNIX.  Is this really true, really?  Or are they just
being fussy?  Is the BSD stuff any better?

1. unix desktop on pc, pc desktop on unix box, free

What is VNC? - A practical introduction

"VNC stands for Virtual Network Computing. It is, in essence, a remote
display system which allows you to view a
computing 'desktop' environment not only on the machine where it is running,
but from anywhere on the Internet and from a wide variety of machine
architectures."

    http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

Platforms include: widows, unixes:

 http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/platforms.html

--
Bob Irwin

2. Summary of SLIP problems

3. I wanna beeping the PC speaker at a given frequency

4. Networking trouble... again...

5. Getting Windows PC to talk to Linux PC via ethernet

6. SMC Ethernet Card Problem Solved

7. i WANNA PRACTISE MY UNIX SKILLS... aNYONE KNOW A GOOD SHELL SOMEWHERE?

8. Samba printing

9. So, I wanna be a unix programmer.

10. PC vendors for PCs to run Unix (Linux, Solaris, etc.)

11. mount PC files on UNIX using PC-NFS?

12. I would like to know for *really* old PCs (was: Starting UNIX using old PCs)

13. PC and UNIX networking, when PC has broadband and Sun is standalone