Detailed listing of dump tape contents?

Post by Jim Beril » Sun, 20 Nov 1994 10:17:04

  Is there an easy way to get a detailed listing of the contents
of dump tapes?  I'd like to get a listing similar to that produced
by "tar -tv", which includes the modification date and size of
the file.  "restore -tv" seems to give only the inode and filename.

  I'm using SunOS 4 and 5 on various Sun 3's and 4's.

  I will post a summary of e-mailed responses.

  Thanks in advance.

--

Detailed listing of dump tape contents?

Post by Jim Beril » Tue, 22 Nov 1994 19:48:43

My original question was:

|>   Is there an easy way to get a detailed listing of the contents
|> of dump tapes?  I'd like to get a listing similar to that produced
|> by "tar -tv", which includes the modification date and size of
|> the file.  "restore -tv" seems to give only the inode and filename.

pointed me to a program called lldump.  It compiled without problems
on a Sun 3/280 running SunOS 4.1.1.  The program can be retrieved from
ftp://ftp.cs.mcgill.ca/pub/unix/lldump/lldump-1.1.tar.Z

--

1. need help with listing dump contents

Hi all,

After doing a dump, then using 'restore -if /dev/st0' to 'browse' the
dump contents, I find that the listing produced by 'ls' is truncated -
i.e. if I have 50 files, only 46 may show up as if part of the output
is being shunted off the screen.

If I do 'ls file' because I know that 'file' is there, it does indeed
list it. toggling 'verbose' seems to change which files are not
displayed - e.g. I had a file '1.iso' which without verbose didn't
show ,but index.html did, then when I toggled verbose to on, '1.iso'
is shown by 'ls' but index.html isn't anymore !

what am I doing wrong...

Thanks all,

Craig Jackson

2. Stupid Printer Setup Questions!

3. Help with dump/restore ("Tape is not a dump tape")

4. Help-monitor problem

5. Stupid Questions: Sun 8mm dump tape =>AIX 8mm dump tape

6. Strange behaviour of df and /tmp

7. How to list the content of a tape?

8. Sendfile, loopback, and TCP header checksum

9. listing tape contents

10. How to list the content of a tape?

11. List Contents On Tape After VXDUMP

12. How can I dump the contents of a crash/dump part'n onto floppy?

13. Getting a list of file to remove from the dump tape