I have to distribute files to quite a number of remote machines.
I want to be able to do the following:
- distribute from account userA on machineA to account userB on
machineB C ... Z
- distribute from filesystem /a/b/c to filesystem /x/y/c
- distribution to be fast even if files are large
- incremental distribution
- if host machine is unavailable or if copy fails, get an error message
- have a way of checking after the distribution is complete to see if the
files got there (some kind of logging mechanism and ls -lrt output)
- able to use ssh
I've heard of rdist, rsync and cfengine.
Can these do the above, and is any of them preferable over the other?
And is pull technology better than push technology and if so, why?