Best tool to distribute files (rdist, rsync, cfengine)

Best tool to distribute files (rdist, rsync, cfengine)

Post by Susan Johns » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 04:59:41

I have to distribute files to quite a number of remote machines.

I want to be able to do the following:
- distribute from account userA on machineA to account userB on
   machineB C ... Z
- distribute from filesystem /a/b/c to filesystem /x/y/c
- distribution to be fast even if files are large
- incremental distribution
- if host machine is unavailable or if copy fails, get an error message
- have a way of checking after the distribution is complete to see if the
files got there (some kind of logging mechanism and ls -lrt output)
- able to use ssh

I've heard of rdist, rsync and cfengine.

Can these do the above, and is any of them preferable over the other?
And is pull technology better than push technology and if so, why?

Post by Sean P. Bur » Sat, 26 Apr 2003 01:38:40

> I have to distribute files to quite a number of remote machines.

> I want to be able to do the following:
> - distribute from account userA on machineA to account userB on
>    machineB C ... Z
> - distribute from filesystem /a/b/c to filesystem /x/y/c
> - distribution to be fast even if files are large
> - incremental distribution
> - if host machine is unavailable or if copy fails, get an error message
> - have a way of checking after the distribution is complete to see if the
> files got there (some kind of logging mechanism and ls -lrt output)
> - able to use ssh

> I've heard of rdist, rsync and cfengine.

> Can these do the above, and is any of them preferable over the other?
> And is pull technology better than push technology and if so, why?

My understanding is that that rsync is a more sophisticated
implementation of the rdist idea - it goes to great lengths
to minimize the amount of data copied across the net, and
has more features generally.

I can't comment on cfengine tho.

-SEan

1. Using rdist to distribute passwd files.

  Hello.  I am wondering what the best way to distribute passwd files across a
network of linux boxes is.  I'd like to avoid NIS/yp, because of the security
risks and other problems associated with it.  Doing it over nfs is also not
an option, the speed on our systems just isn't adequate.

I have heard its possible to distribute them via rdist/rdistd, and after looking
at the package, i cannot see how this is done.  Presently, i would just like to
get two machines up, with the same passwd files on each.  I want it so if a user
changes their passwd on machine1, in a couple minutes or whatever the change is
reflected in machine2, and the other way around..

thanks,

2. linux and disk manager

3. Distributed Passwd File Tools

4. Network monitoring software

5. best way to distribute files from server (rcp, ftp, ?)

6. Help with KDE problem

7. Jungle Monkey 0.1.10 - Distribute file sharing tool

8. cursor command history like Linux?

9. RDIST, RSYNC or something else? replication

10. rsync replacement for rdist

11. Stock Solaris rdist vs rsync

12. rdist and rsync