xterm with inverse color (black as background)

Post by llewell » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 11:26:51

>>A reasonable idea, Chuck.

>>But I really like black on white. Call me silly if you will.

Most people like black on white. 3 hours later, they have a headache,
    and they don't know why. If you don't have a headache, you're
    tougher than they are.

Quote:

>>alan

> I will call you silly. Earlier you compared black foreground / white
> background to mankind's natural desire to use white paper and black
> ink.

I think for most people, black text on white background *is* a natural
    desire, regardless of whether it's on paper or CRT. However,
    eating lots of animal fat is also a natural desire. When humans
    burned 5000 calories a day chasing food, and died of disease
    before age 35, animal fat was a great thing. Now most people don't
    need anything like 5000 calories a day, and can expect to avoid or
    be cured of most diseases. black text on white background is of
    analogous nature; it's healthy on paper, and unhealthy on CRT.

Quote:> However, paper is a low intensity, diffuse light source. As
> opposed to your average CRT or active LCD.

More: the light from paper is from the room. Turn down the light in
    the room, the light in paper adjusts accordingly. Your eyes will
    properly adjust themselves to both the room and the paper
    easily, since the room and the paper are consistent.

The light from a CRT has nothing to do with the light in the
    room. All too often, the two are inconsistent. So if your eyes are
    correctly adjusted for one, they are wrong for the other. The more
    light coming out of your monitor, the greater the inconsistency. A
    white background means more light coming out of your monitor.

Do you think you can make the CRT light and the monitor light
    consistent by proper adjustment of both? I can do this for active
    LCD. I can't do it for CRT. Reason? CRT has a reflective glass
    surface. Good ones reflect less, but still more than active
    LCD. If you turn up the room light to match the bright background
    on the CRT, the CRT glass reflects more - so the brightness has to
    be turned up, and the two are inconsistent again. If you turn down
    the CRT light to match the room, it's not bright enough to
    overcome the reflection.

Quote:> Hey nature boy, how much toxic waste was produced in the manufacture
> of your CRT/LCD?

Lots. More, an LCD or CRT in a landfill is itself toxic waste. If you
    can help it, never throw away your monitor (or, for that matter,
    most other computer parts). If you can't make use of it yourself,
    find someone else who can.

Post by Tim Hayne » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 17:27:51

>> Hey punk.
>> Welcome to my killile.

> Do me a favor and add me to your killfile too.

Me too

~Tim
--

Where it all began                          |http://spodzone.org.uk/

Post by Alan Conno » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 21:13:41

>>> Hey punk.
>>> Welcome to my killile.

>> Do me a favor and add me to your killfile too.

> Me too

> ~Tim

No problem.

There are thousands of experts on the Usenet, many of which actually have
manners and a sense of fairness.

Won't miss YOU at all.

alanc

Post by Alan Conno » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 21:13:38

>> And white paper is a powerful reflector, reflecting almost as much overall
>> light (full spectrum) as a mirror.

> Not even close - Although I'll be the first to agree that whitei paper
> is very reflective, its albedo isn't close to that of a true mirror. I'm
> not sure of the actual albedo of white paper, but I doubt
it's in the 88
> to 96 range of a true mirror. Uncoated first-surface aluminum mirrors
> such as those used in astronomical telescopes and such are about 88%
> reflective, but that can be increased to about 96% or better with
> silicon monoxide (or superior, dielectric) coatings.

> Even the full moon, bright as it is, is only about 50% reflective in
> reality. So there is a big difference.

> However, as I said before, this stuff (software) is all highly
> configurable so for the most part we can all have our cake and eat it,
> too! :-)

> (oops! I said once before I'd made my last post on this increasingly
> off-topic thread...!)

Wrong you are. Flat white is almost as reflective as a mirror. All you have
to do to verify this is to test it with a photographic light meter.

alanc

Post by Thomas Dicke » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 22:49:17

>>> Do me a favor and add me to your killfile too.

>> Me too

>> ~Tim
> No problem.
> There are thousands of experts on the Usenet, many of which actually have
> manners and a sense of fairness.

hmm - the implications are that they're like you (which means they lack
all of those attributes).

Quote:> Won't miss YOU at all.

;-)

--

http://dickey.his.com
ftp://dickey.his.com

Post by Brian Ke » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 23:45:44

> Hey punk.

> Welcome to my killile.

My word - you *do* have a short fuse, don't you?

--
Brian Key

Post by Alan Conno » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 01:18:13

>> Hey punk.

>> Welcome to my killile.

> My word - you *do* have a short fuse, don't you?

I'm kind of new to Usenet, Brian. I have a slow and intermittent connection
to the Internet.

No time for people who offer nothing but shit, or wrap what good they have to
say in same.

You wouldn't believe how long the list of subjects and froms my slrnpull
scorefile has. I filter out more than half the posts from most of the groups on
my fetch list.

Every so often I'll take the filters off a group  to see if I am missing
anything, and so far have re-instated most of those filters in short
order, with few modifications.

I am civil to those who are civil to me. If anyone is maliciously uncivil
without reasonable provocation I will tell them what I think of them and
killfile them.

No regrets at all. If they have anything useful to say, I can pick it up
no-interactively from the archives.

This is how *I* do things. If others don't think this is reasonable and fair,
please tell your congressperson about it. I am not interested.

alan

Post by Brian Ke » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 01:44:03

> On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:45:44 +0100, Brian Key

>>> Hey punk.

>>> Welcome to my killile.

>> My word - you *do* have a short fuse, don't you?

> I'm kind of new to Usenet, Brian.

[bleating snipped]

Er, obviously.  And differing opinions too by the look of some of your

You might as well make room for me in your killfile: I'll certainly be
in good company there.

--
Brian Key

Post by Alan Conno » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 02:21:44

>> On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:45:44 +0100, Brian Key

>>> My word - you *do* have a short fuse, don't you?

>> I'm kind of new to Usenet, Brian.

> [bleating snipped]

> Er, obviously.  And differing opinions too by the look of some of your

> You might as well make room for me in your killfile: I'll certainly be
> in good company there.

Done.

alanc

Post by Thomas Dicke » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 03:36:53

>> I'm kind of new to Usenet, Brian.
> [bleating snipped]

sounds like he's about 15 years old (has a lot of room in his killfile ;-)

Quote:> Er, obviously.  And differing opinions too by the look of some of your
> You might as well make room for me in your killfile: I'll certainly be
> in good company there.

;-)

--

http://dickey.his.com
ftp://dickey.his.com

Post by Brian Ke » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 08:08:29

>>> I'm kind of new to Usenet, Brian.

>> [bleating snipped]

> sounds like he's about 15 years old (has a lot of room in his killfile ;-)

Yes indeed :)  A virtuoso brat performance.

--
Brian Key