xterm with inverse color (black as background)

xterm with inverse color (black as background)

Post by Lucian » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 21:32:30

Hi,

I use Linux and my default setup for xterm sets a white background.

How to change to black backgorund ?

Thanks

Luciano

--
Luciano Ribichini
Max Planck Insitute for Gravitational Physics

xterm with inverse color (black as background)

Post by Tim Hammerquis » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 00:07:42

Luciano graced us by uttering:

Quote:> I use Linux and my default setup for xterm sets a white
> background.

> How to change to black backgorund ?

The manpage for xterm(1) should cover that.

$ man xterm

HTH,
Tim Hammerquist
--
If you want to know what god thinks of money,
just look at the people he gave it to.

Post by Bit Twiste » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 00:20:49

> Hi,

> I use Linux and my default setup for xterm sets a white background.

> How to change to black backgorund ?

You realy need to do a
          man xterm

you can get the colors with the command     showrgb
you can get list of fonts with              xlsfonts

If you want you own xterm defaults put them in
   $HOME/.Xresources
Some examples:
XTerm*c132:                     True
XTerm*cursorColor:              Red
XTerm*font:                     9x15
XTerm*foreground:               Black
XTerm*fullCursor:               true
XTerm*jumpScroll:               on
XTerm*pointerColor:             Black
XTerm*pointerShape:             XTerm
XTerm*reverseVideo:             false
XTerm*reverseWrap:              true
XTerm*saveLines:                4096
XTerm*scrollBar:                true
XTerm*scrollKey:                on
XTerm*scrollTtyOutput:          off
XTerm*titleBar:                 false

xterm with inverse color (black as background)

Post by David Thompso » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 04:18:05

Quote:> If you want you own xterm defaults put them in
>    $HOME/.Xresources

[snip]

I thought these went into ~/.Xdefaults?

--
David Thompson
Foster City, CA

Post by Bit Twiste » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 04:28:36

>> If you want you own xterm defaults put them in
>>    $HOME/.Xresources
> [snip]

> I thought these went into ~/.Xdefaults?

You can.

Usually starting the window manager causes .Xresources and .Xdefaults
to be loaded.

The down side is that everytime you start another xterm, .Xdefauls is
loaded again. I found my xterms starting faster if I only loaded
.Xdefaults with things which would not stick after a .Xresources
loaded them.

Post by Floyd Davidso » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 07:26:46

>> If you want you own xterm defaults put them in
>>    $HOME/.Xresources
>[snip]

>I thought these went into ~/.Xdefaults?

Flip a coin.  Chances are good that it will be both right and
wrong!

My ~/.xinitrc merges both ~/.Xdefaults and ~/.Xresources, plus a
system wide version of each too.

Other configurations might vary from one or the other the
neither.  The only way to know, is look to see what is being
done you your box (and then set it to do whatever you want it
to do).

--
Floyd L. Davidson           <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>

Post by Floyd Davidso » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 07:42:54

>>> If you want you own xterm defaults put them in
>>>    $HOME/.Xresources
>> [snip]

>> I thought these went into ~/.Xdefaults?

>You can.

>Usually starting the window manager causes .Xresources and .Xdefaults
>to be loaded.

>The down side is that everytime you start another xterm, .Xdefauls is
>loaded again. I found my xterms starting faster if I only loaded
>.Xdefaults with things which would not stick after a .Xresources
>loaded them.

I don't know how or why you might have _xterm_ arranged to somehow
load ~/.Xdefaults when it is executed, but that is not normal in
my experience.  I ran _strings_ on my copy of _xterm_, and it
doesn't seem to know anything about "Xdefaults".

I just did a quick check to verify that in my ~/.Xdefaults if I
have

   XTerm*cursorBlink:    true

I can change that to false and start an _xterm_... which will still
have a blinking cursor.  If I kill that _xterm_ and run

   xrdb -merge ~/.Xdefaults

I can start an _xterm_ and find that the cursor does not blink.  Of
course the same effect happens in reverse, where changing it to
true has no effect until the file is merged by running _xrdb_.

Basically the ~/.Xdefaults and ~./Xresources files are not loaded
by X client programs such as _xterm_.  They are resources loaded by
_xinit_ and provide a default environment to X clients.

--

Post by Alan Conno » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 08:42:21

>> If you want you own xterm defaults put them in
>>    $HOME/.Xresources
> [snip]

> I thought these went into ~/.Xdefaults?

> --
> David Thompson
> Foster City, CA

My xterm options  are in .xsession. I have neither ~/.Xdefaults nor
~/.Xresources

---------------------------------------
$ less .xsession

#!/bin/bash

xsetroot -solid skyblue
exec flwm -c 0 &
WindowManager=$!
xvt  -title "Debian GNU/Linux" -ls -geometry 80x46+0+0  -e  /usr/bin/screen  &
wait $WindowManager

--------------------------------------

(by-the-way, I use xvt, which is very light and fast and comes up with
a white background and a typewriter font out of the box, which I really like.)

alanc

Post by Floyd Davidso » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 09:57:44

>My xterm options  are in .xsession. I have neither ~/.Xdefaults nor
>~/.Xresources

I don't see any xterm options in the listing below.

Quote:>---------------------------------------

--

Post by Alan Conno » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 16:40:39

>>My xterm options  are in .xsession. I have neither ~/.Xdefaults nor
>>~/.Xresources

> I don't see any xterm options in the listing below.

xvt is an "xterm", a terminal emulator LIKE xterm. Just smaller and cleaner.

The size geometry is set below, the title, and the command to bring up
the textmode windowmanager screen within the "xterm."

I run a minimal X, so this isn't the norm...

alanc

Quote:>>---------------------------------------

Post by Floyd Davidso » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 17:34:41

>>>My xterm options  are in .xsession. I have neither ~/.Xdefaults nor
>>>~/.Xresources

>> I don't see any xterm options in the listing below.

>xvt is an "xterm", a terminal emulator LIKE xterm. Just smaller and cleaner.

xvt is not an xterm though, and options for it do not change xterm.

Quote:>The size geometry is set below, the title, and the command to bring up
>the textmode windowmanager screen within the "xterm."

>I run a minimal X, so this isn't the norm...

>alanc

We should also be aware that what you have below does not set
options for xvt either.  It invokes one instance of xvt with a
particular set of options.  But if xvt is then invoked again,
from a command line, it will not necessarily have those options
"set", unless of course they are once again part of the command
line.

The entire point of ~/.Xdefaults and ~/.Xresources is to *set* a
default group of "options" (actually X resources, not options)
which will be enabled for any given X client program *unless* it
is specifically invoked with that option _disabled_.

You could of course add the xrdb command to your .xsession
script and cause X resources to be loaded, and you could use
either or both of ~/.Xdefaults or ~/.Xresources (or some other
file) to do that.

Quote:>>>---------------------------------------

--

Post by Chuck Dillo » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 23:11:30

>>>[snip]

>>>I thought these went into ~/.Xdefaults?

>>You can.

>>Usually starting the window manager causes .Xresources and .Xdefaults
>>to be loaded.

>>The down side is that everytime you start another xterm, .Xdefauls is
>>loaded again. I found my xterms starting faster if I only loaded
>>.Xdefaults with things which would not stick after a .Xresources
>>loaded them.

> I don't know how or why you might have _xterm_ arranged to somehow
> load ~/.Xdefaults when it is executed, but that is not normal in
> my experience.  I ran _strings_ on my copy of _xterm_, and it
> doesn't seem to know anything about "Xdefaults".

See the manpage for XGetDefaults.  If you never run xrdb to load the
~/.Xdefaults then every X program will load your .Xdefaults from disk
at startup.  If you have a ~/.Xdefault-<hostname> file (or point
XENVIRONMENT somewhere) it will be read by every X app at startup as
well.  It's an intrinsic X thing.

.Xresources is part of some X configurations and unknown to the X API
itself.  So it only has an effect if loaded by a startup script (e.g.
startx, xinit or whatever).

-- ced

--
Chuck Dillon
Senior Software Engineer

Post by Alan Conno » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 01:52:42

>>> I don't see any xterm options in the listing below.

>>xvt is an "xterm", a terminal emulator LIKE xterm. Just smaller and cleaner.

> xvt is not an xterm though, and options for it do not change xterm.

xvt is an X-terminal-emulator.

xterm is an X-terminal-emulator.

A=A

Quote:

>>The size geometry is set below, the title, and the command to bring up
>>the textmode windowmanager screen within the "xterm."

>>I run a minimal X, so this isn't the norm...

>>alanc

> We should also be aware that what you have below does not set
> options for xvt either.

Yes it does.

  It invokes one instance of xvt with a

Quote:> particular set of options.

 But if xvt is then invoked again,

Quote:> from a command line, it will not necessarily have those options
> "set", unless of course they are once again part of the command
> line.

Good. Because I don't USE any other instances of xterm. I use the window
manager screen within a single xterm.

Quote:

> The entire point of ~/.Xdefaults and ~/.Xresources is to *set* a
> default group of "options" (actually X resources, not options)
> which will be enabled for any given X client program *unless* it
> is specifically invoked with that option _disabled_.

> You could of course add the xrdb command to your .xsession
> script and cause X resources to be loaded, and you could use
> either or both of ~/.Xdefaults or ~/.Xresources (or some other
> file) to do that.

Yes. If I wanted to. Had it set up that way to begin with, but never used
another xterm, so why bother. Screen is a better window manager than any of
the x apps, in my experience.

alanc

Quote:

xterm with inverse color (black as background)

Post by Lucian » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 23:19:26

Hi,
I would like to reply to myself (is this ok ?)

I found a possible workaround for my problem:

I use, instead of xterm, rxvt with the following
~/.Xresources file

Term*c132:                     True
XTerm*cursorColor:              Red
XTerm*font:                     10x20
XTerm*foreground:               White
XTerm*background:               Black
XTerm*fullCursor:               true
XTerm*fullCursor:               true
XTerm*jumpScroll:               on
XTerm*pointerColor:             White
XTerm*pointerShape:             XTerm
XTerm*reverseVideo:             false
XTerm*reverseWrap:              true
XTerm*saveLines:                4096
XTerm*scrollBar:                true
XTerm*scrollKey:                on
XTerm*scrollTtyOutput:          off
XTerm*titleBar:                 true

everything fit my needs, in this way.
xterm does not read this file automatically as rxvt does.

Do you like my solution ?
I found it simple and efficient :-))

Luciano

~
~
~

--

Post by Bit Twiste » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 00:03:48

> Hi,
> I would like to reply to myself (is this ok ?)

Yes, if you change the subject by adding Solution to end of line so
people using http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search do not
have to wade through all the articles to find it.