Looking for a better 'tar' than 'tar'

Post by Mark D. Conn » Wed, 23 Feb 1994 00:31:32

        I'm looking for a better tape archive program than 'tar'.  I'm
looking for the same functionality as tar (adding files to an archive,
multiple archives, etc.), but I need something that deals gracefully
with read errors.  I'm running DEC ULTRIX on a DECstation 5000, and
our version of tar aborts if it encounters a read error on the tape,
making the rest of the archive following the error inaccessible.

        Backward compatibility is not required - this will be used to
create new archives rather than working with archives made by tar.

--
Mark D. Conner
Dept. of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences

1. getting a tar file off a tape when you've tar cf'ed first

I friend of mine managed to use the tar cf comamnd when he wanted to
do a tar xf. He stopped it when he realized what he had done
but obviously tar now doesn't believe the file is there.
Is there anyway to extract, at least partially, the contents of
the tape? Perhaps with dd?

Thanks,

Craig Barnes

2. Syscope 1.01 released

3. where can I find source for 'dd' and 'tar'??

4. Zip parallel drivers?

5. Looking for program 'expect' with *.tar.Z format(not .gz)

6. Sniffers

7. tar: Hmm, this doesn't look like a tar archive

8. Multipal option's in a shell script

9. BUG: 'tar +help' doesn't work with libc.so.4.4!!

10. why doesn't 'tar' work?

11. ''tar' file system

12. Question on 'tar' error msg's