What client mail protocol leaves mail on server

What client mail protocol leaves mail on server

Post by Randall Allen Moo » Wed, 18 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I am looking for an alternative to POP for reading email from a PC
(while still having a nice client like Eudora).  I
would like to be able to log in to the mail server from multiple PC's and
still see all of my stored messages.  There must be a fairly standard way
of doing this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Randy Moore

What client mail protocol leaves mail on server

Post by Salim Gasm » Fri, 20 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I am looking for an alternative to POP for reading email from a PC
>(while still having a nice client like Eudora).  I
>would like to be able to log in to the mail server from multiple PC's and
>still see all of my stored messages.  There must be a fairly standard way
>of doing this.

>Any suggestions?

>Thanks,

>Randy Moore

This is not in the RFC of the Post Office Protocol
to always delete the mail on the server one retrieved with RETR.
but it support a delete command  .

Your Eudora is configured to remove the mail on your server
check if the option "leave mail on server" is enabled .

This not the fault of the POP server, but of your POP client (Eudora) .
If your POP client does not let you choose between leave/delete
mails from your server , just use another one .
If my memory is good, Eudora on PC have this option .

Hope this helps

Salim

"Quand le sage montre le ciel du doigt, l'idiot regarde le doigt"
"Un Clavier AZERTY en vaut deux"

Salim Gasmi

1. Secure transport between mail server and pop client (via another mail server)

Let's take a look at this scenario:

I have two mail accounts, one on academic Unix server A and second
at my office - Unix server B. And there is also Win95/NT PC on my desk.
Practicaly I use Internet only from my PC. There is proxy gateway for
http and ftp outbound connections. No pops, telnets and other services
outside the office. You know - security.
And, let's assume, all inbound mail is CCopied to my boss.

And where is the problem?
I want to have all my private mail (sent to my academic account)
on my desk - Internet Mail, Pegasus or sth like that.

Forwarding mail from one account to the other does not provide security.
My office Unix server is "untrusted", so all forwarded mail should
arrive encoded. And decoding should be done by my pop3 client, just on
my desk.

So, some procmail action should be taken at Server A to encode (by pgp?)
and forward mail. And some automatical decoding at my desk.

Any help?
Any URL, sample conf and tips?

Regards
tko

2. Using DHCP to connect to @Home Service

3. Leaving the mail on the Imap mail server

4. _lwp_* system calls?

5. What mail clients can mail directly to a smtp server

6. A brief doc to remember how to YACC and LEX

7. mail client can access HTTP mail server

8. using the global variable "errno"

9. win95 client gets mail through linux machine from netware 3.xx mail server, POSSIBLE ?

10. How to receive Internet mail from Win95 client via mail server on Redhat 4.2

11. sendmail mail server does not accept sending mail from remote clients

12. mail client for windows with enhanced features running on a linux mail server?

13. How do I delete mail from mail file /var/mail/su after reading mails