need unix equivelent of VMS's Logical Name for a mail address

need unix equivelent of VMS's Logical Name for a mail address

Post by Alan M. Horowi » Sun, 03 Apr 1994 17:34:49

I use NN's "m"  (forward this article) command very often, to e-mail the
article to my account on a different machine, across the Internet.  The
address of the target account is pretty long.  In VMS, I could define a
Logical Name in my Login.Com  file that would let me use a one-character
abbreviation of my choosing, for the mail-address.

Can I do the same thing in unix?  I don't unix at all, don't really want to
bother mastering it, as I only use it on the machine where I read USENET.

If possible, please reply by e-mail

Alan Horowitz

need unix equivelent of VMS's Logical Name for a mail address

Post by Thomas Pf » Mon, 04 Apr 1994 00:36:26

Quote:>I use NN's "m"  (forward this article) command very often, to e-mail the
>article to my account on a different machine, across the Internet.  The
>address of the target account is pretty long.  In VMS, I could define a
>Logical Name in my Login.Com  file that would let me use a one-character
>abbreviation of my choosing, for the mail-address.

>Can I do the same thing in unix?  I don't unix at all, don't really want to
>bother mastering it, as I only use it on the machine where I read USENET.

Have you tried setting up an alias?  You can do this from within ELM and
possibly other mail readers.
--
tom_p                           | I could get a new lease on life

compuserve: 73303,1136          | and last month in advance.

1. converting VMS mail to unix mail - utility?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a utility to convert
VMS mail to unix mailboxes.  I believe there were a couple of
programs around, but my searches haven't located them.

Any and all recommendations and pointers appreciated.

2. cant open /dev/tty

3. vms mail --> unix mail

4. Strange TCP/IP socket behaviour

5. Wanted: Info on VMS Mail <-> Unix Mail Transfer

6. ps/2 mouse won't work!

7. vms mail --> unix mail

8. mjtobler@removethis_consultant.com == shit

9. Migrating VMS mail to UNIX mail

10. vms mail --> unix mail

11. NEED HELP WITH PROGRAMMING POP3 MAIL PROGRAM TO RETRIEVE MAIL ON UNIX-TO-UNIX

12. 'put' files from unix to VMS via batch ftp.