CVS: Using both client/server method with rsh and -d option for checkout

CVS: Using both client/server method with rsh and -d option for checkout

Post by Hon-Chi N » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I'm using CVS 1.10.7 (client/server) on Solaris 2.5.1 with hypothetical
username 'user1' on host 'mach1'.  > cvs -v  Concurrent Versions System (CVS)
1.10.7 (client/server)  ...  > whoami  user1  > hostname  mach1

First of all, I can import and check out (with -d option for output dir) the
source files using non-client/server method.  > cd proj1  > ls src/foo.c
src/foo.c  > cvs -d /proj/cvs_repo import -m "My Project 1" MyProj1 XYZ start
 cvs import: Importing /proj/cvs_repo/MyProj1/src  N MyProj1/src/foo.c  ...
No conflicts created by this import  > cd ../proj1_test  > cvs -d
/proj/cvs_repo co -d . MyProj1  cvs checkout: Updating .  cvs checkout:
Updating src  U src/foo.c  ...

However, if I check out the source files using remote method with rsh
protocol, CVS complains about the -d option of checkout (Note it's NOT the -d

server: existing repository /proj/cvs_repo does not match
/proj/cvs_repo/MyProj1  cvs server: ignoring module MyProj1

On the other hand, if I check out the source files using remote method with
rsh protocol but without the -d option of checkout, CVS works happily.  > cvs

cvs server: Updating MyProj1/src  U MyProj1/src/foo.c  ...

I further verify that it's not the way I import the source files by importing
them using remote method with rsh protocol.  CVS still complains when the
remote method and -d option of checkout are used simultaneously.  > cd

import -m "My Project 2" MyProj2 XYZ start  cvs server: Importing
/proj/cvs_repo/MyProj2/src  N MyProj2/src/bar.c  ...  No conflicts created by

-d . MyProj2  cvs server: existing repository /proj/cvs_repo does not match
/proj/cvs_repo/MyProj2  cvs server: ignoring module MyProj2  > cvs -d

server: Updating MyProj2/src  U MyProj2/src/bar.c  ...

Q: I want to check out the source files into my current directory just as
those that I originally imported into the repository without the module name
prepended as subdirectory to the current directory (i.e. using -d option of
checkout), and I want to use the remote method with rsh protocol.  How can I
get both to work happily?

Thanks.  I appreciate your help.

Hon-Chi

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Hon-Chi N » Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I'm using CVS 1.10.7 (client/server) on Solaris 2.5.1 with hypothetical
username 'user1' on host 'mach1'.
  > cvs -v
  Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.10.7 (client/server)
  > whoami
  user1
  > hostname
  mach1

First of all, I can import and check out (with -d option for output dir)
the source files using non-client/server method.
  > cd proj1
  > ls src/foo.c
  src/foo.c
  > cvs -d /proj/cvs_repo import -m "My Project 1" MyProj1 XYZ start
  cvs import: Importing /proj/cvs_repo/MyProj1/src
  N MyProj1/src/foo.c
  No conflicts created by this import
  > cd ../proj1_test
  > cvs -d /proj/cvs_repo co -d . MyProj1
  cvs checkout: Updating .
  cvs checkout: Updating src
  U src/foo.c

However, if I check out the source files using remote method with rsh
protocol, CVS complains about the -d option of checkout (Note it's NOT
the -d for CVSROOT).

  cvs server: existing repository /proj/cvs_repo does not match
/proj/cvs_repo/MyProj1
  cvs server: ignoring module MyProj1

On the other hand, if I check out the source files using remote method
with rsh protocol but without the -d option of checkout, CVS works
happily.

  cvs server: Updating MyProj1
  cvs server: Updating MyProj1/src
  U MyProj1/src/foo.c

I further verify that it's not the way I import the source files by
importing them using remote method with rsh protocol.  CVS still
complains
when the remote method and -d option of checkout are used
simultaneously.
  > cd ../proj2
  > ls src/bar.c
  src/bar.c

MyProj2 XYZ start
  cvs server: Importing /proj/cvs_repo/MyProj2/src
  N MyProj2/src/bar.c
  No conflicts created by this import
  > cd ../proj2_test

  cvs server: existing repository /proj/cvs_repo does not match
/proj/cvs_repo/MyProj2
  cvs server: ignoring module MyProj2

  cvs server: Updating MyProj2
  cvs server: Updating MyProj2/src
  U MyProj2/src/bar.c

Q: I want to check out the source files into my current directory just
as those that I originally imported into the repository without the
module name prepended as subdirectory to the current directory (i.e.
using -d option of checkout), and I want to use the remote method with
rsh protocol.  How can I get both to work happily?

Thanks.  I appreciate your help.

Hon-Chi

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Using a Mac as CVS server, Linux and Mac clients

I need a CVS repository for source control.  Builds are for both Linux
and Mac OS X (10.2), so my idea was to setup a repository on a Mac box,
then access it remotely from the Linux environment, but I'm having no luck.

I'm on a small lan - I've given each box a unique IP address.
I can ping the Mac from Linux.
I can open an ssh session from Linux on the Mac.
I can't rcp files (Connection refused).  Any other network operations
result in Connection refused.
I can see the Mac, and the files under my account from my Windows XP box.

I've turned on all the sharing stuff (system settings, sharing) on the Mac.
I don't really have a clue what I doing.  Can anybody point me to a
resource for this kind of information?

Mick.

2. Print windows on unix printserver

3. Using CISCO "dchp proxy-client" option with ISC dhcpd server?

4. Linking XF86_Mach64

5. OpenBSD 3.1 cvs checkout doesn't compile SSL

6. MS-DOS access under Linux Gives Error. Please Help.

7. CVS checkout

8. Diffs to YABL

9. CVS remote checkout

10. cvs checkout problem

11. rsh [cvs] to RedHat 7.1 server with no password - how?