IBM 0662S12 harddisk

Post by Ulf Knoblic » Sun, 28 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi

Is anybody out there with a IBM 0662 harddrive working?
I don't manage to get it working in a Sun SparcSation2 or a PC.

SunOS just says sd3 offline while the PC says the drive was "Not ready"
though it spun up and is turning...

bye

IBM 0662S12 harddisk

Post by Ulf Knoblic » Sun, 28 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi

Is anybody out there with a IBM 0662 harddrive working?
I don't manage to get it working in a Sun SparcSation2 or a PC.

SunOS just says sd3 offline while the PC says the drive was "Not ready"
though it spun up and is turning...

bye

IBM 0662S12 harddisk

Post by Chuck Tribole » Tue, 30 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I think there's a pretty good chance this disk is formatted
for something other than 512 byte sectors.  The PC insists on
512 byte sectors.  You will need to do a low-level format on
it using something like Adaptec EZ-SCSI.

BTW, it's a 1G drive, so ignore what someone said about Suns
and 2G drives.

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: Best day job in the world.

IBM 0662S12 harddisk

Post by F. Robert Fal » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

On Mon, 29 Dec 1997 18:24:28, Chuck Tribolet

|I think there's a pretty good chance this disk is formatted
|for something other than 512 byte sectors.  The PC insists on
|512 byte sectors.  You will need to do a low-level format on
|it using something like Adaptec EZ-SCSI.
|
|BTW, it's a 1G drive, so ignore what someone said about Suns
|and 2G drives.
|

|> Hi
|>
|> Is anybody out there with a IBM 0662 harddrive working?
|> I don't manage to get it working in a Sun SparcSation2 or a PC.
|>
|> SunOS just says sd3 offline while the PC says the drive was "Not ready"
|> though it spun up and is turning...

As an aside, this drive is a bit slow to finish it's POST,
and
as a result, is sometimes listed as "not ready" by some
Host Adapters (The AHA-1542B was notorious for doing
that... the v3.20 BIOS cured it.)

-bob-
F. Robert Falbo    | TheRef(tm)  Drive & Controller Guide
OS/2 & BeOS       | http://theref.c3d.rl.af.mil

IBM 0662S12 harddisk

Post by Martin Payn » Mon, 05 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Yup, had this problem with the IDE version of this drive (0662-A10).

Just couldn't get it to work with at all with a couple of motherboards.