Best choice of non-Solaris OS for SPARCs?

Best choice of non-Solaris OS for SPARCs?

Post by Mark Morle » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 10:35:16

I have a bunch of SPARCs gathering dust here.  The Sparc 1s I'll probably trash, maybe even the Sparc 5's.  But I have two dual-processor (Ross) Sparc 20s with loads of RAM and HD that I could have fun with, if nothing else.

Which *BSD and/or Linux distributions currently support SMP on SPARC?  Any reason to pick one over another?  I have Solaris but I'm not a big fan of it.

Mark

Post by nuk » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 00:44:03

> I have a bunch of SPARCs gathering dust here.  The Sparc 1s I'll probably trash, maybe even the Sparc 5's.  But I have two dual-processor (Ross) Sparc 20s with loads of RAM and HD that I could have fun with, if nothing else.

> Which *BSD and/or Linux distributions currently support SMP on SPARC?  Any reason to pick one over another?  I have Solaris but I'm not a big fan of it.

Sorry, can't tell you specifically which one *does* support SMP, but I'm
pretty sure that the current stable release of NetBSD 1.6.1 *doesn't*.
I think it's planned for 2.0, but that may be a while out.  Could always
install and use as single processor, and help w/ the testing of stuff
for 2.0?  Dunno about FreeBSD and Linux on SPARC.

nuk

--
I know more than enough *nix to do some very destructive things,
and not nearly enough to do very many useful things.

Post by Jeremiah DeWitt Weine » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 00:40:10

> Which *BSD and/or Linux distributions currently support SMP on SPARC?
> Any reason to pick one over another?  I have Solaris but I'm not a big
> fan of it.

        No BSD appears to currently support Sparc SMP; FreeBSD does have
an SMP kernel but it's Intel-only.  With Linux, it's not really a
distribution issue per se.  According to the SMP-HOWTO, the SparcStation
20 is known to work, but check the documentation for yourself.  For
Sparcs of that vintage, there's UltraLinux, Debian, SuSE, Gentoo,
Aurora, and Splack, so you have a decent range of choices.

        Good luck.  I've found that a new OS can really extend the life
of older Sparcs - I'm running OpenBSD on an IPX as my gateway at home,
and it works pretty well (although it is still getting a bit long in
the tooth - waiting ~20 seconds for an SSH login is annoying).

        BTW, please break your lines at 78 characters or so.

1. -=[Question: PC UNIX OS choices: What are the best choices and why?]=-

W. John Gammage schrieb:
No wonder there are no pthreads. Get new kernel sources. Your kernel is
1.2.13; the current version is 2.0.35. The current kernel is OK for
threads; the next stable kernel (2.2.0) will be completely thread-safe
with glibc AFAIK.

mawa
--

2. Upgrade Video Driver on RedHat7.2-Please help!

3. Sun _FREE_ Solaris OS (x86/Sparc) Promotion for non commercial use

4. serial port in matlab

5. What is the best partition type for OS X, Win2k, Sparc (solaris) and Linux?

6. PHP module for Acrobat Forms?

7. Solaris/Motif program dumps core when displaying non-Solaris X-servers

8. Prompt problems

9. Solaris 2.5/x86 and non-Solaris fdisk partitions

10. Solaris 2.4x86 as nfs-client from a non-solaris system

11. talk problems between solaris and non-solaris servers

12. Solaris PPP connecting to non-Solaris PPP

13. Will Solaris 9/SPARC binaries run on Solaris 8/SPARC ?