whois server code

Post by J Anthony Fitzgera » Fri, 19 Feb 1993 08:29:25

Is there a generally available program to provide the server function for
the whois program?  The whois program by default connects to nic.ddn.mil,
however, makes provision to connect to the whois port (TCP port 43) of any
host specified by the -h argument.  There are apparently a fair number of
sites other than nic.ddn.mil providing this service.  My question is
whether there is a standard program available which one can plug into port
43 to answer whois questions or does each site typically write its own.

The whois program itself from ftp.uu.net is remarkably small and the code
very simple.  Connect to port, write the command arguments to the port and
print to stdout anything that comes back from the port or issue some simple
error messages.  I presume that RFC 812 fully describes the protocol, however,
I haven't seen that document yet.

I would rather not write this program if one already exists and is freely
available, however, looking (at a guess) for "whoisd" in archie found only
a single occurrance and that was for an executable at a site in finland.
I'm not really sure if this does what I'm looking for and I'd really rather
have source :-)

Thank-you for your trouble...
--

Computing Services  UofNB  Box 4400     (506) 453-3590  (FAX)
Fredericton, NB,  CANADA,  E3B 5A3

whois server code

Post by Stew Ell » Fri, 19 Feb 1993 10:38:57

>Is there a generally available program to provide the server function for
>the whois program?  The whois program by default connects to nic.ddn.mil,
>however, makes provision to connect to the whois port (TCP port 43) of any
>host specified by the -h argument.  There are apparently a fair number of
>sites other than nic.ddn.mil providing this service.  My question is
>whether there is a standard program available which one can plug into port
>43 to answer whois questions or does each site typically write its own.
>The whois program itself from ftp.uu.net is remarkably small and the code
>very simple.  Connect to port, write the command arguments to the port and
>print to stdout anything that comes back from the port or issue some simple
>error messages.  I presume that RFC 812 fully describes the protocol, however,
>I haven't seen that document yet.
>I would rather not write this program if one already exists and is freely
>available, however, looking (at a guess) for "whoisd" in archie found only
>a single occurrance and that was for an executable at a site in finland.
>I'm not really sure if this does what I'm looking for and I'd really rather
>have source :-)
>Thank-you for your trouble...
>--

>Computing Services  UofNB  Box 4400 (506) 453-3590  (FAX)
>Fredericton, NB,  CANADA,  E3B 5A3

I am not sure if it will work as a whois server, but I believe I have read
something about it, but check out qi or ph.  There may even be a news group
for ph.  It is used by a lot of gopher sites, where it is called CSO, for
phone directory lookups.  I investigated it for that purpose, but it seems
too general for me to tackle right now.  It looks like it is capable of
replacing DNS even.  I found it at a site at uiuc.edu, where it is
maintained, but I do not remember the name of the machine.

--
                                                          ___________________
  R.Stewart(Stew) Ellis, Assoc.Prof., (Off)313-762-9765  /   _____  ______

1. whois server code

Any clues on where the source code is for
the whois database server?

(not the client code)

-Thanks

| Tim Bass                           | #include<campfire.h>                |
| Principal Network Systems Engineer |       for(beer=100;beer>1;beer++){  |
| The Silk Road Group, Ltd.          |           take_one_down();          |
|                                    |           pass_it_around();         |
| http://www.silkroad.com/           |       }                             |
|                                    |  back_to_work(); /*never reached */ |

2. Something else broke between -rc2 and -rc3?

3. WHOIS server

4. Screen blanking won't work at login

5. Setting up a whois server

6. Does StarOffice run on PPC

7. WHOIS free server

8. failed dependencies

9. Is there recommended Whois Server software out there?

10. WHOIS server

11. Need to run a whois server for client test

12. Change default whois server

13. How can our server be registered on WHOIS database ?