what is shared memory in Unix (MAXSHMEM)

what is shared memory in Unix (MAXSHMEM)

Post by Sanja » Sat, 03 Jun 2000 04:00:00

can somebody please help me understanding what is shared memory in unix
which is configured for installing databases on unix.
like is shared memory is less than 70 MB sybase server 10.0.2 does not
come up and asks to increase the shared memory.

what is shared memory in Unix (MAXSHMEM)

Post by Phi » Sat, 03 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>can somebody please help me understanding what is shared memory in unix
>which is configured for installing databases on unix.
>like is shared memory is less than 70 MB sybase server 10.0.2 does not
>come up and asks to increase the shared memory.

Shared memory in UNIX is a method of IPC (Interprocess Communication).
Shared memory allows two or more processes to share a given region of memory.
This is the fastest form of IPC because the data does not need to be copied
between the client and server.
Significant performance advantages can be gained by implementing a database
system (of course that can be problems when/if it fails)
There was something called mergemen available for download
(www.ist.org/mergemem) but it seems to have been taken down *shrugs*
Phil.