echoing control-characters from the command-line

echoing control-characters from the command-line

Post by Peter Couvar » Thu, 23 Jul 1992 08:48:31

        Is there any way (from the command-line) to produce the same output
as the following C program? (maybe with 'echo'?) :

main { printf("\027"); }

Thanks in advance for any help...

-Peter

1. diff among echo a>f; command<f; echo $a|command; command << $a; EOF

What is the difference among:

1)
echo $passwd > file
command < file

2)
echo $passwd | command

3)
command << EOF
$passwd
EOF

To me they are all equivalent ( I am talking about functionality, not
UUOC stuff here ). But the DBA claims that only 1) works for the oracle
financial application applmgr, and it beats me. 1) is recommended by oracle
on the manual but I prefer 2 and 3. Please shed some light on
the issue. Thanks.
--
Michael Wang
http://www.mindspring.com/~mwang

2. 'w' command question/issue

3. how do I echo a control character?

4. What is the least tampered with Linux (altered)

5. Echoing control characters on the crt (System V)

6. Need help with X and The Black Screen!!

7. multi-character command-line options in bash

8. Wrote xx/xx buffers

9. tcsh dosen't echo ^[ as a control character

10. telnet line-by-line to character-by-character

11. line by line without using echo "$i" | while read line?

12. Controlling whether or not to execute commands or just to echo them - quoting

13. why does i=`echo -n $b` work on command line, but not in script?