Should my computer teacher be this strict to me?

Should my computer teacher be this strict to me?

Post by Robert Freema » Tue, 28 Jan 1997 04:00:00

        About 5 days ago I was on my server and I saw a friend so I decided to
see if he was working on his web page.  I went in to his directory:
/home/ndamuth/public_html/ to look at his page.  I encountered about 20
local readable and writeable files in my friends /public_html/ directory,
which is world readable by the way.  I tried to use the talk command to
tell him but he would not accept it.  I then looked for where he was
connected and I discovered that he was just upstairs.  I went up to the
computer lab and told him about the problem.  Then while the computer
teacher was eves dropping she said I had no right to be in his directory
and knocked me off the server, for 3 weeks.  Was it right of her to do
this?  Did she have a good reason.  Before this happened, I had done
nothing against the rules, and was not in anyway trying to.  By the way,
in the rules it does not state that you can not go into other peoples
directory.  It does say that you can not go anyplace that you do not have
specific authorization to go to.  I mean, come on the directory is a
public_html directory, that is "World Readable".

        Another person placed information about a person he didn't like on the
Internet, I mean everything about this person.  He was knocked off the
server for 1 day.

~~~Eric

Post by Brian K. Justic » Tue, 28 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>         About 5 days ago I was on my server and I saw a friend so I decided to
> see if he was working on his web page.  I went in to his directory:
> /home/ndamuth/public_html/ to look at his page.  I encountered about 20
> local readable and writeable files in my friends /public_html/ directory,
> which is world readable by the way.  I tried to use the talk command to
> tell him but he would not accept it.  I then looked for where he was
> connected and I discovered that he was just upstairs.  I went up to the
> computer lab and told him about the problem.  Then while the computer
> teacher was eves dropping she said I had no right to be in his directory
> and knocked me off the server, for 3 weeks.  Was it right of her to do
> this?  Did she have a good reason.  Before this happened, I had done
> nothing against the rules, and was not in anyway trying to.  By the way,
> in the rules it does not state that you can not go into other peoples
> directory.  It does say that you can not go anyplace that you do not have
> specific authorization to go to.  I mean, come on the directory is a
> public_html directory, that is "World Readable".

>         Another person placed information about a person he didn't like on the
> Internet, I mean everything about this person.  He was knocked off the
> server for 1 day.

> ~~~Eric

Does this teacher understand what PERMISSIONS are? If someone
is dumb enough to leave their dir wide open (with public_html this
is obviously what you want) then that is their fault. I think
he/she needs to lighten up. Sounds like you have a pretty
strict teacher....

Brian

Should my computer teacher be this strict to me?

Post by Scott Matt » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

From what you say, your teacher was wrong, BUT, I wonder what the
teacher's version of the story is.

It is commendable that you were trying to warn someone of impending
doom, so if reality is as you related it you should take heart that
you did the right thing.

>    About 5 days ago I was on my server and I saw a friend so I decided to
>see if he was working on his web page.  I went in to his directory:
>/home/ndamuth/public_html/ to look at his page.  I encountered about 20
>local readable and writeable files in my friends /public_html/ directory,
>which is world readable by the way.  I tried to use the talk command to
>tell him but he would not accept it.  I then looked for where he was
>connected and I discovered that he was just upstairs.  I went up to the
>computer lab and told him about the problem.  Then while the computer
>teacher was eves dropping she said I had no right to be in his directory
>and knocked me off the server, for 3 weeks.  Was it right of her to do
>this?  Did she have a good reason.  Before this happened, I had done
>nothing against the rules, and was not in anyway trying to.  By the way,
>in the rules it does not state that you can not go into other peoples
>directory.  It does say that you can not go anyplace that you do not have
>specific authorization to go to.  I mean, come on the directory is a
>public_html directory, that is "World Readable".
>    Another person placed information about a person he didn't like on the
>Internet, I mean everything about this person.  He was knocked off the
>server for 1 day.
>~~~Eric

------------
Scott Mattes

"Our laws and our institutions must necessarily be based upon and embody the
 teachings of the Redeemer of mankind. It is impossible that it should be otherwise; and
 in this sense and to this extent our civilization and our institutions are emphatically
 Christian." - United States Supreme Court, 1892.

Don't support forced *s -- boycott 'made in China'!

Check out the U. S. Taxpayers' Party at www.ustaxpayers.org

Watch your government employees at http://www.veryComputer.com/

Should my computer teacher be this strict to me?

Post by Jonathan Ch » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Was it right of her to do
>this?  Did she have a good reason.  Before this happened, I had done
>nothing against the rules, and was not in anyway trying to.  By the way,
>in the rules it does not state that you can not go into other peoples
>directory.  It does say that you can not go anyplace that you do not have
>specific authorization to go to.  I mean, come on the directory is a
>public_html directory, that is "World Readable".

The person you want to talk to isn't us, but the sysadmin or someone
who decides policy at your school.

                             Who dares nothing, need hope for nothing

Post by L. F. Sheldon, Jr » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> From what you say, your teacher was wrong, BUT, I wonder what the
> teacher's version of the story is.

No evidence what ever that the teacher was wrong.

The rule here is you access that to which you have explicit permission.

If you violate a rule, your account and network privileges may be
suspended or revoked.
--
-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
.                                                                       .

- 402 280-2254 (work)                  brilliantly disguised as         -
. 402 681-4726 (cellular)                 impossible situations.        .
- 402 977-2946 (pager)                                                  -
. 402 332-4622 (residence)                  Bits and Pieces             .
-                                                                       -
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

1. Should my computer teacher be this strict to me?

[...]

2. flock problem SOLVED: thanks !

3. Should my computer teacher be this strict to me? Results so far.

4. ##HELP E WITH Xemacs COMPILATION ####

5. problems with win-teachers:

6. 'lo' not working

7. Old Floppies and my MCSE backed teacher

8. Persistent Connections with Apache 1.3

9. iLife & Keynote - $14.95 for Teachers / Schools

10. Training K-12 teachers and technical staff in Linux

11. DOS programmer needs CURSES teacher

12. Outsmart my teacher today with a find file command!