Help! .logout not executed on logout!

Post by cjac.. » Thu, 21 Jan 1999 04:00:00

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999 20:35:59 GMT, Jonathan Krebs vouchsafed:

Quote:><!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
>&nbsp; I have written a ".logout" file on HPUX 10.10, and placed it in
>my home directory.&nbsp; When I logout from a window login (as in with
>an su - ), the file is executed.&nbsp; However, when I logout from the
>desktop, it is not!&nbsp; Any ideas?</html>

My first idea is that you change your Netscape configuration to post
plaintext to usenet.

With regard to your question, when you log out by way of the desktop,
what you're doing (in part) is killing the window manager (which, in a
typically-configured system) causes the X server either to terminate of
to reset.  In either of these cases, your various windows (such as
xterm), which communicate with the X server via sockets, are suddenly
left holding the dangling end of a socket in their hand.

I would imagine that they're terminating immediately, rather than
performing niceties like running .logout...

I might be way off base with this, but it seems to fit with what I know
of X server/client interaction.

As for a solution, I don't know.  If .logout needs called for each
separate terminal window, I can't think of one.  If you need it to be
called once for the entire X session, you might try explicitly invoking
it in your .xinitrc after the line which runs your wm.  This is a poor
kludge, but it might get you what you want.

--
Carl Jacobs - Software Engineer by title, SysAdmin by fait accompli
Opinions expressed are not those of Raytheon Systems Company.

Help! .logout not executed on logout!

Post by Jonathan Kreb » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I appologize for my ignorance of Netscape's mail editor.  I've never
used
it before, but I should have assumed it would be so unfriendly.
Your kluge sounds like an excellent answer to my problem.  Thank you for
your time and response.