newbie question regarding PPP and passwords

newbie question regarding PPP and passwords

Post by Bruc » Mon, 12 Jul 1999 04:00:00

My current ISP runs FreeBSD 2.2.6 and allows telnet access, etc.
My original account name was more than 8 characters  but I have to
access email and telnet with my last name due to an 8 character
limitation. Some sort of alias was setup. A month or two ago I changed
my password via telnet and the only way I could connect was to use my
real name and new password - my original intent. A week or so ago I
could not login. I tried my old username and password and that worked.
I've tried changing the password again but that does not work. The
admin says my PPP setup will not be changed when I telnet in - just my
shell account, email, etc. I use new password for email and telnet
but cannot figure out how to change my PPP dialup password again.
Any advise would be appreciated.

bruce

newbie question regarding PPP and passwords

Post by Ken Pizzi » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> A week or so ago I
>could not login. I tried my old username and password and that worked.
>I've tried changing the password again but that does not work. The
>admin says my PPP setup will not be changed when I telnet in - just my
>shell account, email, etc. I use new password for email and telnet
>but cannot figure out how to change my PPP dialup password again.

You need to update the password in the database that PPP uses;
that will in turn depend on the specific implementation and
installation of PPP on your ISP.  The only suggestion I have is
"as you ISP to change your PPP access password for you", and
perhaps "bug your ISP to offer a tool (either from the shell
prompt or through a web interface) which will allow you to
update your PPP password yourself".

                --Ken Pizzini

Post by C.T.Nadovi » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>I use new password for email and telnet
>but cannot figure out how to change my PPP dialup password again.
>Any advise would be appreciated.

This is probably your ISP's problem.

Your PPP password is probably authenticated by the terminal server you
dial into. Your shell/POP password is authenticated by the unix box that
supports your mail and shell account. That's why you have two passwords.

You should bug your ISP administrator to get "with it" and use radius or
some other scheme (NIS+, LDAP, ssh, rdist, etc...) to unify user
authentication, allowing them to keep PPP and POP/shell passwords in synch
automatically.

--
Secure webmail-news-voicemail-fax with JTAN ProShell
http://www.jtan.com/proshell - Unix SSHells for Pros

1. newbie question regarding PPP

I have recently begun playing with Linux.  I love it so far, the only
thing missing is Internet connectivity.  I have looked around Linux and
the manual that I have but I really don't see anything about how to dial
and establish a PPP connection with my ISP.

In the modem configuration tool, I managed to set up my modem to the
right device, give it a number to dial, connection type to establish and
all that.  So it seems to me that everything should be set for creating
a PPP connection to my ISP.  Now the only problem I have is how do I do
it?

I have dialed my ISP's number with minicomm, but that doesn't give me a
PPP connection as far as I can tell (Netscape doesn't find any Internet
sites).  At least I know that my settings are correct.

The only thing I've found so far that seems like it might help is the
X11 communications package Seyon.

If anybody can help me please respond both here and to my email address.

--
...fear me.

2. Test message

3. Another ipfwadm question regarding ppp-on and ppp-off scripts

4. ANN: lock 1.1 now available

5. Newbie Question regarding Double Quote on the unix prompt

6. Comcast Cable modem DHCP problems w/ RH71

7. newbie: ksh question regarding getopts

8. PPP connection - what is bad fcs ?

9. Newbie Question Regarding SSH and RH 7.2

10. Newbie question regarding installing software / packages

11. Newbie question - regarding command line arguments

12. newbie questions regarding Mac68k netbsd installation

13. Newbie. Question regarding 1.time install