Ultra10 , Ultra5 memory bus differneces.

Ultra10 , Ultra5 memory bus differneces.

Post by eyal havi » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi All.
--------

I wrote an application on Ultra-10 machine and when I run it on Ultra5
machine , the application
is crashing on bus error ( Invalid address alignment ) although on
Ultra10 it's running good !!!.

My questions:
 - Why my application crashing on bus error on the Ultra5 platform and
not on the ultra10 platform ?
 - Is the bus of Ultra5 different than the Ultra10 bus ?
 - Is there's a way to fix bus problems so my application would run on
both machines ?

A N Y  help will be appreciate ,
please replay to:

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Post by Ken Pizzi » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>I wrote an application on Ultra-10 machine and when I run it on Ultra5
>machine , the application
>is crashing on bus error ( Invalid address alignment ) although on
>Ultra10 it's running good !!!.

>My questions:
> - Why my application crashing on bus error on the Ultra5 platform and
>not on the ultra10 platform ?

Because the processor in the ultra10 is pickier (either by
nature or by start-up configuration) than that in the ultra5
about data alignments.  Or the libraries on the two machines
are different and you just lucked out that your data is properly
aligned on the ulltra5.

Quote:> - Is the bus of Ultra5 different than the Ultra10 bus ?

Not relevant to the problem.  While the error being thrown
is a generic "bus error", the real problem is an unaligned
memory access, which can be considered to be an application
software error.

Quote:> - Is there's a way to fix bus problems so my application would run on
>both machines ?

Make the application be pessimistic about memory alignment
issues --- don't assume that any basic type (various sizes
of integers, floats, doubles) can be accessed at a memory
address which is not a multiple of its size.  For a specific
example: don't try to access a 32-bit integer whose address
is not a multiple of 4 (i.e., low-order two bits are not
both 0).

                --Ken Pizzini

1. Ultra10 , Ultra5 bus differnces.

Hi All.
--------

I wrote an application on Ultra-10 machine and when I run it on Ultra5
machine , the application
is crashing on bus error ( Invalid address alignment ) although on
Ultra10 it's running good !!!.

My questions:
 - Why my application crashing on bus error on the Ultra5 platform and
not on the ultra10 platform ?
 - Is the bus of Ultra5 different than the Ultra10 bus ?
 - Is there's a way to fix bus problems so my application would run on
both machines ?

A N Y  help will be appreciate ,
please replay to:

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

2. wheel mouse config?

3. xmame.x11 on Sun Ultra5/Ultra10...

4. calloc failed on 2.2.0

5. Does the Ultra5/Ultra10 OBP lock the ATA disk password ?

6. How expand the variable inside '$1'?

7. Likes to buy Ultra5/Ultra10

8. SNMP?

9. Memory problem on Ultra10?

10. Ultra10 memory

11. Newbie: Memory management with Solaris 7 on Sun Ultra10

12. Memory Check on Ultra10

13. Is it possible to use "PC" memory for Sun Ultra5?