Netscape icon position

Post by Martin Grot » Wed, 14 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi there,

i'm running netscape 3 (sometimes 4) on a Sun Solaris Unix system with
X11/mwm surface. I was wondering whether it is possible to set the
default icon position for the program. I've always got to move the icon
manually to the place where i want it.

Regards,

Martin
--

-- Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammett: my favourite authors --

Netscape icon position

Post by Gail Lon » Tue, 20 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Hi there,

> i'm running netscape 3 (sometimes 4) on a Sun Solaris Unix system with
> X11/mwm surface. I was wondering whether it is possible to set the
> default icon position for the program. I've always got to move the icon
> manually to the place where i want it.

> Regards,

> Martin
> --

> -- Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammett: my favourite authors --

In some of the windows managers you can determine a default location for
a program icon if you launch the program iconified and use the correct x
syntax in the commandline for the program in your programs menu. On some
systems it is a variant of the "-geometry" syntax.

example: $ xterm -iconic -geometry 80x24+30+200+200+400

In this case the window will be 80 chars wide by 24 chars high
and positioned 30 pixels from the left and 200 pixels from the top.
The icon will be placed 200 pixels from the left and 400 pixels from the
top.

Man X, xrm, xset, mwm
and look do a search through your answerbook pages for the same entries
if you have access to answerbook.

I don't have access to a current sun system otherwise I would look it up
for you.

Things are only difficult while you don't understand them.
Hang in there.

Netscape icon position

Post by Dave Greenwo » Thu, 22 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> > Hi there,

> > i'm running netscape 3 (sometimes 4) on a Sun Solaris Unix system with
> > X11/mwm surface. I was wondering whether it is possible to set the
> > default icon position for the program. I've always got to move the icon
> > manually to the place where i want it.

> In some of the windows managers you can determine a default location for
> a program icon if you launch the program iconified and use the correct x
> syntax in the commandline for the program in your programs menu. On some
> systems it is a variant of the "-geometry" syntax.

> example: $ xterm -iconic -geometry 80x24+30+200+200+400

> In this case the window will be 80 chars wide by 24 chars high
> and positioned 30 pixels from the left and 200 pixels from the top.
> The icon will be placed 200 pixels from the left and 400 pixels from the
> top.

I wasn't able to make the above example work while displaying to my (VMS)
CDE workstation.  However, the following did work from both an HP-UX system
and a VMS system:

  $ xterm -iconic -geometry 80x24+30+200 -xrm '*iconGeometry: +200+400'

I haven't been able to find any indication that either method will work
with Netscape however, although I don't have a Solaris system to try
Netscape there.  (I used 'strings' to look for likely resource names.)

Hth,
Dave

Oak Ridge National Lab        %STD-W-DISCLAIMER, I only speak for myself