host -l command

Post by Marshall Lev » Thu, 20 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Hi.  I have a question about the "host" command.  On a Sun I use, when I do
"host -l domainname" I get a list of all hosts in that domain.  On an IBM
rs600 I use, that does not work.  Anyone know how to get this behavior on the
IBM machine?

Thanks,
Marshall Levin

would you please cc your reply to me -- our news server expires articles
really quickly.

host -l command

Post by David Watter » Sat, 22 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>Hi.  I have a question about the "host" command.  On a Sun I use, when I do
>"host -l domainname" I get a list of all hosts in that domain.  On an IBM
>rs600 I use, that does not work.  Anyone know how to get this behavior on the
>IBM machine?

Have you heard of man pages? If not then you type "man host". This should
get you a manual page of how to use the 'host' command on the machine on
which you typed it.

Dave

+44 171 637 9111 x4416 |

1. 'host' command not using /etc/hosts?

I have several hostnames and addresses in /etc/hosts.  I can telnet and
ping to these hostnames no problem.  However, the 'host' command does
not recognize the hostnames.  I am not connected to a dns at this point,
nor am I running named (I think).

Doesn't the host command basically call gethostbyname()?  I wrote a
simple program and gethostbyname() returns the addresses ok.

I've tried switching the "order bind, hosts" line in host.conf, no change.
What's the problem here?

Thanks much.

--
== Steve Chauvin                                                             ==
== The return address in this message will bounce.                           ==

2. tn3270 key mappings

3. HELP! Shell commands in hosts.allow, hosts.deny

4. Sun OS Environment/Utilities Question

5. grep command and EXACT host entry in /etc/hosts

6. Keyboard redirection in csh shell script

7. Can't ping the host name or host IP address from host.

8. My Plans for a Network -- Good or Bad?

9. can't ping host or host IP from host ?

10. /etc/hosts (or NIS host map): official-host-name vs nicknames

11. Apache 1.3b2: Default Host and all virtual hosts serve only first virtual hosts pages?

12. diff among echo a>f; command<f; echo $a|command; command << $a; EOF

13. getting the return value of a command executed on another host