Getting Sun to recognize DNS instead of NIS

Getting Sun to recognize DNS instead of NIS

Post by Kaleidospac » Mon, 24 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Hi, We're trying to set up a Sparc with SunOS 4.1.4 installed.
 Everything seems ok except the system won't use the DNS we
installed.  From what we have been able to find out, this is a
problem with the resolving libraries (libresolv.a and
libc.so)

We know that there are replacement libraries that force the
system to use DNS, but we are unsure how to install them. The
system already had the following additional files in the lib
directory:

libc.a.new
libc.so.1.8.1
libc.so.1.9.1
libresolv.a.new

We assume the "new" are replacements for the old.

Can anyone help us with the installation? As we remember, ther is
a problem with static linking of libraries that has to be overcome.

Thanks,

1. DNS w/ NIS (NIS getting in the way?)

We are running a 4.1.3_U1 Sun machine which is configured as a primary
NIS server for our.domain.com.  It is also the primary DNS for our.domain.com.
We have just recently made this machine a secondary DNS for three other
domains:
foo.our.domain.com, bar.our.domain.com, and fred.our.domain.com.  Now here's
the problem...  we can resolve names from our.domain.com using nslookup, or
from
various applications (ping, telnet).  We can also resolve names from the
other three domains using nslookup, but *not* from the applications.  (All the
zone transfers have happened, and all data is correct).  None of the names
we are trying to resolve overlap between NIS & DNS.  The odd thing is that
it seems that the DNS is not being consulted by the applications when they are
attempting to resolve name from the 3 other domains (ie, starting named in
debug mode produces no output from application resolutions).

  However, after changing the domainname of a system attempting the resolution
to anything but our.domain.com, DNS resolutions work!  It appears that NIS
is getting in the way, and not allowing DNS queries when the NIS domain name
is the same as the DNS domain name.

Is there any way to get this to work other than changing our NIS domain name?

Eg)
elvis%  nslookup hubert.foo.our.domain.com
        xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

elvis%  telnet hubert.foo.our.domain.com
        hubert.foo.our.domain.com: host unknown.

elvis%  ypmatch hubert.foo.our.domain.com  hosts
        Can't match key .....

but after
elvis%  domainname domain.com
elvis%  telnet hubert.foo.our.domain.com
        <works!>
elvis%  ypmatch hubert.foo.our.domain.com hosts
        xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        <blank line, so this came from DNS>

This is driving me crazy!?!  Is it just that it is impossible to run an
NIS primary, DNS primary with the same domain names and a DNS secondary?
Any help, comments, thoughts, and/or resolutions would be much
appreciated.

Shawn Robinson

(Please let me know if you have experienced similar problems, or it sounds like
a simple misconfiguration....anything would be useful)

--

Remember:  If it ain't broken,          "Youth culture killed my dog, and
they won't hire you to fix it. :)        I don't think it's fair." -TMBG

2. Tyan tomcat IV S1564S AT duel Pent for 139.00

3. why use DNS instead of NIS?

4. KDE startup

5. DNS instead of NIS...HOW?

6. Screen

7. NIS : auth problem with Linux nis server and SUN sparc nis client

8. Crack Ver. 5.0 on SV

9. NIS+ : Can an HP be a NIS client to a Sun NIS+ server

10. Sun NIS ---> DNS?

11. NIS or NIS+ or DNS

12. Setting up DNS w/o NIS (or NIS+)

13. What was the problem of DNS without NIS/NIS+ ?