Is it "UNIX" or "Unix"?

Post by Yeechang L » Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> Sorry for a naive question, but which is "officially" right?

Peter Salus explains why he uses "Unix" in _A Quarter Century of
Unix_.
--
http://www.columbia.edu/~ylee/

Is it "UNIX" or "Unix"?

Post by Dave Ba » Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>Sorry for a naive question, but which is "officially" right?

>My Microsoft Word dictionary says "UNIX", but most of the posts here as
>well as many web pages use "Unix".

Officially, it's been "UNIX" from the beginning.  However the natural
inclination of an all-caps name is to think it is an acronym for something.
(which leads to an often-asked newbie question "what does UNIX stand for"?)
Of course it's not an acronym, it's a pun on another acronym.

However, common usage of "Unix" has sufficiently caught up to "UNIX"
to the point where both forms are acceptable.

If you want to be strictly correct, use "UNIX".

--Dave

Is it "UNIX" or "Unix"?

Post by Ratchata Peachavanis » Thu, 23 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Sorry for a naive question, but which is "officially" right?

My Microsoft Word dictionary says "UNIX", but most of the posts here as
well as many web pages use "Unix".

On Lippman's C++ Primer, the copyright page says:  "UNIX is a registered
trademark of AT&T."  K&R ANSI C also uses "UNIX" consistently throughout
chapter 8.

Usenet FAQ uses both "UNIX" and "Unix" on the same document, but most are
"Unix".

I am leaning toward "UNIX" because K&R use it.

I know this is not a big deal, but I am trying to write a technical paper
and I'd like to get it right.

Thanks,
RP

Is it "UNIX" or "Unix"?

Post by Scott A. Yano » Thu, 23 Jan 1997 04:00:00

:
: On Lippman's C++ Primer, the copyright page says:  "UNIX is a registered
: trademark of AT&T."  K&R ANSI C also uses "UNIX" consistently throughout
: chapter 8.

 I read in Harley Hahn's "A Student's Guide to UNIX" that it is not
 an acronym, but it is still capitalized because that is the
 way it has been registered as a trademark.
 -Scott

Is it "UNIX" or "Unix"?

Post by frans bosm » Thu, 23 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> >Sorry for a naive question, but which is "officially" right?

> >My Microsoft Word dictionary says "UNIX",

> Well, that's bound to be wrong...

> It's "Unix". It's a proper noun, but not an acronym.

Actually, it is an acronym.
It stands for UNiplexed Information and Computing Service,
which would make UNICS. However, that was way back in 1970 and the
spelling was changed in Unix shortly after.
Frans Bosma                     | Telephone: +31 50 5851267

DISCLAIMER: This statement is not an official statement from,
nor does it represent an official position of, PTT Telecom B.V.

Is it "UNIX" or "Unix"?

Post by Dave 'David' Kra » Thu, 23 Jan 1997 04:00:00

It's Eunuchs!

>:
>: On Lippman's C++ Primer, the copyright page says:  "UNIX is a registered
>: trademark of AT&T."  K&R ANSI C also uses "UNIX" consistently throughout
>: chapter 8.

> I read in Harley Hahn's "A Student's Guide to UNIX" that it is not
> an acronym, but it is still capitalized because that is the
> way it has been registered as a trademark.
> -Scott

Is it "UNIX" or "Unix"?

Post by Guy Dawso » Fri, 24 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> Sorry for a naive question, but which is "officially" right?

> My Microsoft Word dictionary says "UNIX", but most of the posts here as
> well as many web pages use "Unix".

UNIX the tm'd term refering to the computer operating developed by
AT&T and now owned by SCO. X/Open acctually owns the trademark though.

Guy
-- ---------------------------------------------------------------------

4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4 The Reality Check's in the Post! 4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4

Is it "UNIX" or "Unix"?

Post by Jesse Thi » Sat, 25 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>Sorry for a naive question, but which is "officially" right?
>My Microsoft Word dictionary says "UNIX", but most of the posts here as
>well as many web pages use "Unix".

From The Jargon File (The New Hackers Dictionary):

   Some people are confused over whether this word is appropriately
   `UNIX' or `Unix'; both forms are common, and used interchangeably.
   Dennis Ritchie says that the `UNIX' spelling originally happened in
   CACM's 1974 paper "The UNIX Time-Sharing System" because "we
   had a new typesetter and {troff} had just been invented and we
   were intoxicated by being able to produce small caps."  Later, dmr
   tried to get the spelling changed to `Unix' in a couple of Bell
   Labs papers, on the grounds that the word is not acronymic.  He
   failed, and eventually (his words) "wimped out" on the issue.
   So, while the trademark today is `UNIX', both capitalizations are
   grounded in ancient usage; the Jargon File uses `Unix' in deference
   to dmr's wishes.