erratic syslog behavior

Post by MATTHEW JOHN HALLA » Sat, 07 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> When I type: logger -p kern.debug "this is a test" nothing happens -

from my experience, syslog doesnt except anything below severity err on
the kern facility from anything but the kernel itself (the kern facility
is special in this way)

Quote:> nor when trying local5.notice (which I had recently defined and was
> testing).  kern.debug comes as part of the default definitions for /
> etc/syslog.conf.

i presume you added something like..
        local5.debug    /var/adm/messages
- you have to be sure to use tabs rather than spaces

Quote:> the numerical table prints out like this (hand typing as I  only have
> a printout with me:

7x2533333333 FILE: /var/adm/messages

ok, an explanation of the table, each row represents an action - in this
case "write to file /var/adm/messages", there should be a row for each
line in you conf file, plus some "UNUSED"
If you have "UNUSED" followed by a filename then it would write to
"filename"
but "filename" doesnt exist.

Each column represents a facility.. column 1 is the kern facility, 2 =
user
3 = mail, 4 = daemon, 5 = auth.
The numbers represent the severity.. 0 = emerg, 1 = alert, 2 = crit etc,
x means that this facility doesnt use this action. So in this case,
kern.debug
and above will be written, nothing from user facility will written,
mail.crit
and more severe will be written, etc etc

HTH
Matt

1. Erratic hme0 behavior on Ultra 10

I just installed an Ultra10 and I have big problems with networking. My
DNS is correct, defaultrouter is configured, everything seems okay.

My Workstation (x.x.x.94), DNS server (x.x.x.2) and gateway (x.x.x.1)
are on the same netmask. Sometimes I can ping the gateway but not the
DNS server, sometimes not, sometimes both work and sometimes none work.
Pretty strange. It's not the hub, not the cable. And it's a brand new
machine.

I tried "ifconfig hme0 down", and the xterm froze. So I don't think it's
a hardware problem. I'm running Solaris 7 with all the patches.

If someone has an answer, could you please e-mail me at my office
address:

Thanks in advance.

Jean-Michel Dault

2. Matrox Productiva G100 AGP & Mouse

3. Erratic mouse behavior

4. Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 2 of 6)

5. Erratic Mouse Behaviour

6. best system for the job?

7. URGENT HELP - Erratic behaviour in sniffing packets using an Aironet 350 series PCI card

8. MegaRaid 428 and RH 6.1 HELP PLEASE

9. Erratic behaviour of System time on Solaris 8 - x86 system

10. Erratic keyboard behavior in 2.5.67

11. erratic mouse behavior

12. SunSSH erratic behaviour after applying SST (Jass) 4.2 to a Solaris 10 x86 box.

13. IP Masquerading errors/erratic behavior